Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default How To Update Formulas Without Refreshing Links Each Time

I have a workbook with links to a live data base. At times I need to change
the way the workbook manipulates the data and then update all formulas but do
not want to wait several minutes while the links refresh. If I leave the
calculation mode in automatic all cells update (there are several worksheets
involved) but the links also update, wasting time. Calculating each worksheet
individually is not an option (there are too many) and leaving the
calculation mode in manual is not an option either. Please help. Thanks in
advance.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Carl,

Take a look at following post :
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...b484ce182a725c

HTH
Carim

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Carl,

Take a look at following post :
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...b484ce182a725c

HTH
Carim

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks Carim, This helped a lot. I can set the calculation mode to manual,
then only update the worksheets that do not contain the links when needed but
am still a little concerned that the worksheets will not be udated in the
proper sequence since they all depend upon each other. This is why I was
trying to keep the workbook in automatic mode, which also updated the links
each time unfortunately.

"Carim" wrote:

Hi Carl,

Take a look at following post :
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...b484ce182a725c

HTH
Carim

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Carim,
I am wondering...would it be possible to put my links to the external data
in a table and then set the calculation to automatic "all except tables"
until I wanted the data refreshed? If you think this would solve my problem,
how would I set up normal formulas referring to external data (not a query)
as a table? Thanks again.

"Carim" wrote:

Hi Carl,

Take a look at following post :
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...b484ce182a725c

HTH
Carim

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Carl,

My guess is that you are dealing with very large workbook, and many
sheets with complex formulas ...
Therefore building Tables would be rather difficult and extremely
cumbersome ...
Let me dig around to find out potential solutions

Meanwhile a real guru might come up with a brilliant idea ...

Cheers
Carim

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Carl,

Forgot to mention a site to visit :

http://www.decisionmodels.com/calcsecretsg.htm

Cheers
Carim

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks Carim, You are correct that this is a very large complicated workbook.
The link you sent was very informative. Thanks again!