Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Links Automatically refreshing in Excel 2007

I'm trying to find a way to stop linked documents being automatically
refreshed in Excel 2007. In 2003 you used to get a pop-up that prompted if
you wanted to update your links or not. 2007 doesn't do this and
automatically updates them. I have tried unticking the box for "update links
to other documents" but they still update.

I noticed in the Edit links section it has a bit for Update:
Automatic/Manual but Manual is always greyed out.

I also tried the macro that Tom Ogilvy and Jason put up but that doesn't
work either.

Please help!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

It sounds like your security bar is turned off. Choose Office Button, Excel
Options, Trust Center, Trust Center Settings, and then click Message Bar.
Now when you open a file that contains links you should see the security bar
directly below the ribbon, if you click the Option button it will display a
screen where you can choose to enable the updating of links at any time or
you can do nothing and the links won't be updated.

Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

"Bronwyn" wrote:

I'm trying to find a way to stop linked documents being automatically
refreshed in Excel 2007. In 2003 you used to get a pop-up that prompted if
you wanted to update your links or not. 2007 doesn't do this and
automatically updates them. I have tried unticking the box for "update links
to other documents" but they still update.

I noticed in the Edit links section it has a bit for Update:
Automatic/Manual but Manual is always greyed out.

I also tried the macro that Tom Ogilvy and Jason put up but that doesn't
work either.

Please help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The bar pops up fine but if you open the source file at all then it
automatically updates.

For example: create 2 documents one called destination.xlsx and one called
source.xlsx. In the file source.xlsx put the number 1 in cell A1. Save it.
In cell A1 of destination.xlsx put ='[path to
file]\[source.xlsx]source.xlsx'!$A$1. Untick "Update links to other
documents" and save the file. Close both documents. Open destination.xlsx
and the bar pops up saying that automatic updating of file disabled. Leave
that as is. Now, open source.xlsx and modify cell A1 to 123. Switch back to
destination.xlsx and it will have changed.