Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default External data import with a formula, fiormula is not evaluated

I import data from a database into Excel. One of the fields contains a
formula. However, the Formula is not evaluated after the import. All the rest
works fine.

Only if I enter the cell via F2 and then get out again the formual is
evaluated.

Is there a workaround, without using VBA?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

First suggestion:
ToolsOptionsCalculationAutomatic, but I guess you will have tried that.

Otherwise can you post the formula here.
--
Allllen

"Sierrraxray" wrote:

I import data from a database into Excel. One of the fields contains a
formula. However, the Formula is not evaluated after the import. All the rest
works fine.

Only if I enter the cell via F2 and then get out again the formual is
evaluated.

Is there a workaround, without using VBA?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The Formula is very simple:

=RC(-1)&RC(1)

It will only be evaluated when I enter the cell and leave it again.

It seems that after it is being inserted through the get external data query
it is treated as something that is not recognized by excel so that it does
not evaluate it

"Sierrraxray" wrote:

I import data from a database into Excel. One of the fields contains a
formula. However, the Formula is not evaluated after the import. All the rest
works fine.

Only if I enter the cell via F2 and then get out again the formual is
evaluated.

Is there a workaround, without using VBA?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The problem has been described from a different view angle in KB Article
135506.

However, there is only a manual solution offered, by way of entering the
cell via F2, similar to what I wrote.

I am lokking for an automatic solution, however.

Why does Excel not recognize a formula that is fetched from a database?

Thanks

"Sierrraxray" wrote:

I import data from a database into Excel. One of the fields contains a
formula. However, the Formula is not evaluated after the import. All the rest
works fine.

Only if I enter the cell via F2 and then get out again the formual is
evaluated.

Is there a workaround, without using VBA?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

cmon this is due to german excel just like sometimes you have to use ;
instead of ,.

I wrote that the formula works fine when I enter the cell via F2 and get out
again!

There is nothing wrong with the formula!

"Sierrraxray" wrote:

I import data from a database into Excel. One of the fields contains a
formula. However, the Formula is not evaluated after the import. All

the rest
works fine.

Only if I enter the cell via F2 and then get out again the formual is
evaluated.

Is there a workaround, without using VBA?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

if you wanna help pls read the full text. in there i wrote that the formula is

"=RC(-1)&RC(1)... It will only be evaluated when I enter the cell and leave
it again."

this indicates that the formula is entered correctly, otherwise it would
produce one of excels built in error messages.

the problem is that excel siplays the formula as if it were text, although
the format is general.

even so, entering the cell via F2 and just leaving it again is enough so
that excel evaluates the formula and displays the expected result.

however this breaks the automation without additional code that i need to
build into my excel sheet after importing data and formulas residing in a
database

do you have any clues what is going on?