Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default PLEASE!! How can I un-grey the 'Data-Import External Data-Import Data' option ???

Urgently required.

Many thanks if you can assist.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If the worksheet is protected, or if the file is shared, you won't be
able to use that command.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 10:05:03 -0400, Debra Dalgleish
wrote:

If the worksheet is protected, or if the file is shared, you won't be
able to use that command.

I must admit to being very ****ed off with this. Weeks of work are
wasted because this STOOPID bloody thing suddenly occured for no
reason - and ALL my backups now give the same result.

AFAIK the xls file is neither protected or shared.

I suppose I can start the whole thing again. But what if it happens
again?

Is there NO WAY to un-gray this option ? Bugger Bill Gates is all I
can say !

Thanks - Kirk

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Would assume the worksheet is protected.

ToolsProtectionUnprotect Sheet

OR........

The workbook is shared under ToolsShare Workbook.

Unshare it.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 01:43:13 +1200, kirkm
wrote:

Urgently required.

Many thanks if you can assist.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

AFAIK the xls file is neither protected or shared.

"AFAIK" - a bit vague, should be able to report 100% certain.

Eliminate your toolbar file as the culprit. With no running Excel instance
rename your *.xlb to say *.bak. Restart Excel and a new default toolbar file
will be created. If that makes no difference close Excel, delete the newly
created toolbar file (ie the new *.xlb) and restore your backup.

Regards,
Peter T

wrote:

If the worksheet is protected, or if the file is shared, you won't be
able to use that command.

I must admit to being very ****ed off with this. Weeks of work are
wasted because this STOOPID bloody thing suddenly occured for no
reason - and ALL my backups now give the same result.

AFAIK the xls file is neither protected or shared.

I suppose I can start the whole thing again. But what if it happens
again?

Is there NO WAY to un-gray this option ? Bugger Bill Gates is all I
can say !

Thanks - Kirk

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Sun, 6 Aug 2006 22:01:30 +0100, "Peter T" <peter_t@discussions
wrote:

Hello Peter,

AFAIK the xls file is neither protected or shared.

"AFAIK" - a bit vague, should be able to report 100% certain.

You're right - but I haven't enough knowledge of Excel to be certain.

Eliminate your toolbar file as the culprit. With no running Excel instance
rename your *.xlb to say *.bak. Restart Excel and a new default toolbar file
will be created. If that makes no difference close Excel, delete the newly
created toolbar file (ie the new *.xlb) and restore your backup.

I don't have any files aywhere on the computer with an 'xlb'
extension.

Have you anything else I can try?

Thanks - Kirk
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Kirk,

I don't have any files aywhere on the computer with an 'xlb'
extension.

Try extending your search for the recalcitant xlb file to encampass hidden
files.

---
Regards,
Norman

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 09:36:47 -0700, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca
wrote:

Hello

Would assume the worksheet is protected.

ToolsProtectionUnprotect Sheet

Under ToolsProtection there's four options

Protect Sheet
Allow Users To Edit Ranges
Protect Workbook
Protect And Share Workbook

Should I plough deeper? I see no 'Unprotect Sheet' heading.

Under 'Protect Sheet' There is a tick in 'Protect worksheet and
contents of locked cells'
If I untick that, I lose the OK button.

OR........

The workbook is shared under ToolsShare Workbook.

Unshare it.

This has no tick besides 'Allow changes by more than one user at the
same time.
This also allows workbook merging.'

Only one name (mine) is in the 'Who has....' list
The advanced menu has all options greyed out.

Thanks for anything further.
Cheers - Kirk
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Mon, 7 Aug 2006 07:13:02 +0100, "Norman Jones"
wrote:

Hi Kirk,

I don't have any files aywhere on the computer with an 'xlb'
extension.

Try extending your search for the recalcitant xlb file to encampass hidden
files.

Thanks Norman, but I'm pretty sure I've checked thorougly:-

Search by any or all of the criteria below.
All or part of the file name:
*.xlb
A word or phrase in the file:
Look in:
` My Computer
When was it modified?
What size is it?
More advanced options
Type of file:
(All Files and Folders)
Search system folders
Search hidden files and folders
Search subfolders
Case sensitive
Search tape backup

with the resulting

Search is complete. There are no results to display.

Thanks - Kirk
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

encampass == encompass

---
Regards,
Norman

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Kirk,

Thanks Norman, but I'm pretty sure I've checked thorougly:-

I stand open to correction, but, given that toolbar settings are held in an
xlb file, I would expect at least one such file to exist; if the current xlb
file is deleted, Excel recreates a default file.

That said, I can see no obvious problem with your search criteria other,
perhaps, than the case sensitive option - I say perhaps beacuse I cannot
immediately recall that this option has ever worked for me.

---
Regards,
Norman

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Kirk,

Like Norman I would expect an *.xlb file to exist somewhere. Location is
system dependant, mine for XL2000 is he
c:\windows\Application data\Microsoft\Excel\Excel.xlb

In Excel 97 it's name username8.xlb in the Windows folder

Not sure where it might be if Excel on a Network server, or if your search
would find it if using a multi user system.

The *.xlb stores Toolbar menu settings and is updated when Excel closes. If
the file does not exist a new file is created. If you are able to customize
your toolbars and pick up same in the next session you can be sure an *xlb
exists - somewhere.

I'm not saying this is the cause of your non-enabled menu item but should be
quick and simple to rule out as a possibility.

Before looking into the *xlb I would fully rule out Protection and Shared as
original suggestions given by Debra and Gord. The description in your reply
to Gord suggests the Activesheet is not protected, what happens if you now
look at your External Data menu with the same sheet active.

Regards,
Peter T

r-username8.xlb
"kirkm" wrote in message
On Mon, 7 Aug 2006 07:13:02 +0100, "Norman Jones"

Hi Kirk,

A word or phrase in the file:
Look in:
` My Computer
When was it modified?
What size is it?
More advanced options
Type of file:
(All Files and Folders)
Search system folders
Search hidden files and folders
Search subfolders
Case sensitive
Search tape backup

with the resulting

Search is complete. There are no results to display.

Thanks - Kirk

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

May I thank everyone for there help and suggestions with this problem.

It was not a problem with Excel, but with me. Normally I'd be
importing data at the end of the existing cells. My cursor was
sitting in an existing one and hence the grayed-out option.

Maybe Excel help could have helped more in this case, but
I couldn't find anything.

Many thanks to all,
Cheers - Kirk