Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Excel 2007 beta TR VBA still MUCH slower than Excel 2003

Has anybody else noticed this? Excel 2007 beta 2 VBA was very sluggish.
Just about every operation was much slower than earlier versions. Today I
updated to the technical refresh. Everything still runs at a fraction of the
speed of earlier versions of Excel.

I know the code may not be fully optimized, but the differences are huge.
Surely Microsoft would be aware of this -- they couldn't possibly end up
with a slow final release.... could they?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Just to clarify this issue: VBA in Excel 2007 is much slower when it
involves inserting anything into worksheet cells. eg
range("a1").cells(i,j).value = "X". If you do this, say, 2,000 times with
Excel 2003 it will run approximately twice as fast as with Excel 2007.

"peterhoa" wrote in message
Has anybody else noticed this? Excel 2007 beta 2 VBA was very sluggish.
Just about every operation was much slower than earlier versions. Today I
updated to the technical refresh. Everything still runs at a fraction of
the speed of earlier versions of Excel.

I know the code may not be fully optimized, but the differences are huge.
Surely Microsoft would be aware of this -- they couldn't possibly end up
with a slow final release.... could they?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I've confirm your findings and, in fact, this is consistent with the trend
since at least Excel 97, which is better than four times are as fast as
Excel 2007 in putting values in cells by macro. I suppose that this is
caused by the other features added to Excel over the years but it's just a
guess.

--
Jim