Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Copyright or Secure a workbook

Here is the problem. I have created an estimation program for a company to
utilize. The owner is afraid that his estimator may copy the program and
leave the company to start his own company or work for a competitor. Of
course having the estimation program that my client uses to bid jobs would be
devastating to my client. Are there any suggestions on how we can secure
this workbook so that we can allow the estimator to start using it without
worrying about him copying it and running off?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The short answer is NO. if I could figure out how to stop software piracy
then I would be a bit wealthier than I am now. There are a few things you
could do to make it more difficult but nothing that would be foolproof. A
very simple one that I have used internally is to place an empty text file in
an obscure place somewhere on their machine. The only point to the file is
that it is a flag that if it is not there then the program will not operate
(check for the files existence on open). I password protect the code and so
long as it remains my little secret then the spreadsheet is kinda secure. It
will keep stop most users but a sophisticated user could crack it in no time
flat... Kinda like locking my car... It will keep the joy riders out but it
will not stop the professional car theif...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"BearTrap3" wrote:

Here is the problem. I have created an estimation program for a company to
utilize. The owner is afraid that his estimator may copy the program and
leave the company to start his own company or work for a competitor. Of
course having the estimation program that my client uses to bid jobs would be
devastating to my client. Are there any suggestions on how we can secure
this workbook so that we can allow the estimator to start using it without
worrying about him copying it and running off?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Jim thanks for the response. I understand how the process will work but how
do I go about searching for a text file? Also if it doesn't find it how do I
get the program to abort or close? Thanks

"BearTrap3" wrote:

Here is the problem. I have created an estimation program for a company to
utilize. The owner is afraid that his estimator may copy the program and
leave the company to start his own company or work for a competitor. Of
course having the estimation program that my client uses to bid jobs would be
devastating to my client. Are there any suggestions on how we can secure
this workbook so that we can allow the estimator to start using it without
worrying about him copying it and running off?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Take a look at the Dir function implimented something like this...

if len(dir("C:\Whatever.txt)) = 0 then thisworkbook.close
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"BearTrap3" wrote:

Here is the problem. I have created an estimation program for a company to
utilize. The owner is afraid that his estimator may copy the program and
leave the company to start his own company or work for a competitor. Of
course having the estimation program that my client uses to bid jobs would be
devastating to my client. Are there any suggestions on how we can secure
this workbook so that we can allow the estimator to start using it without
worrying about him copying it and running off?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I put it there. It is just a blank text file used as a flag...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"BearTrap3" wrote:

Here is the problem. I have created an estimation program for a company to
utilize. The owner is afraid that his estimator may copy the program and
leave the company to start his own company or work for a competitor. Of
course having the estimation program that my client uses to bid jobs would be
devastating to my client. Are there any suggestions on how we can secure
this workbook so that we can allow the estimator to start using it without
worrying about him copying it and running off?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

What I have done in the past was to place the text file on their system at
the same time as I gave them the Excel file without telling them about the
text file. What I also did was to have different text files that indicated
the level of access that they should have. Does that form bulletproof
security... Not even close. But for the user they don't know that they have
this text file on their system so they are none the wiser. If they copy the
spreadsheet to another computer or send it to someone else then it won't
work. It is a little cheesy but it's simple and for the average user quite
effective.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"BearTrap3" wrote:

Here is the problem. I have created an estimation program for a company to
utilize. The owner is afraid that his estimator may copy the program and
leave the company to start his own company or work for a competitor. Of
course having the estimation program that my client uses to bid jobs would be
devastating to my client. Are there any suggestions on how we can secure
this workbook so that we can allow the estimator to start using it without
worrying about him copying it and running off?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

BearTrap, Thomlinson, Ogilvy,

VERY interesting discussion. Thought I would commend you three for the
insight.

Sincerely,

Christmas May

P.S. How does Thomlinson get the silver circled 2 behind his name? How
does Ogilvy get the MVP behind his name. I'm assuming the two individuals or
groups that make up Thomlinson and Ogilvy do software development full time?
If so, do either of you two have a website so I can hire you when/if the need
arises?

"BearTrap3" wrote:

Here is the problem. I have created an estimation program for a company to
utilize. The owner is afraid that his estimator may copy the program and
leave the company to start his own company or work for a competitor. Of
course having the estimation program that my client uses to bid jobs would be
devastating to my client. Are there any suggestions on how we can secure
this workbook so that we can allow the estimator to start using it without
worrying about him copying it and running off?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Me neither. I just kinda think this is fun (in a weird propeller head kinda
way).If you want to get good at Excel start answering questions on this
forum. It forces you to solve thousand of different problems and to see how
your method stacks up agianst some of the best coders in the business.
Warning though... you need to park your ego at the door and be prepared to
have your errors pointed out in a very public way. No matter how hard you try
you ware going to take the criticism personal every so often. If you want to
hire someone I would recommed Chip Pearson, JE McGimpse or Debra Dagliesh off
the top of my head.

How do you get the Silver 2 and the MVP. Where I have posted you will see
that my name is Highlighted in Blue. If you click on that you will see my
profile because I have made mine public (if it were private then you would
not see the silver 2). At 50 helpful responses (Helpful responses indicated
with green check marks made by the poster clicking Yes for "Was this post
helpful") you get a bronze 3. At 100 you get a Silver 2 and at 500 you get a
gold 1. (I currently am around 400. On average you get 1 check mark for every
10 posts but who's counting). Tom's MVP is because Microsoft (and the Excel
community in general) is so deeply indebted to him that they have made him an
MVP (one of only a handful in the world). Seriously Tom do you have a job or
is this what you do full time...

Now for a personal rant. For all of those people posting directly through
the Microsoft Discussion Group if the post was helpful then choose yes so
that the person who answered the question knows that the post worked out.
Perhaps even post a quick "Thank You". If the post did not work out then
don't click the Yes. When I see the green check I assume to a certain degree
that what I said worked.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote:

I don't.

Tom Ogilvy

"Christmas May" wrote in message
BearTrap, Thomlinson, Ogilvy,

VERY interesting discussion. Thought I would commend you three for the
insight.

Sincerely,

Christmas May

P.S. How does Thomlinson get the silver circled 2 behind his name? How
does Ogilvy get the MVP behind his name. I'm assuming the two individuals
or
groups that make up Thomlinson and Ogilvy do software development full
time?
If so, do either of you two have a website so I can hire you when/if the
need
arises?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi BearTrap3, Tom Ogilvy and Jim Thomlison.

What about if you would use the MAC Address of the PC to verify if the
workbook can be used or not?

The only thing you need to do is to list the MAC Addresses of the PC's the
workbook is going to be used on, in the workbook itself (in macro, but better
in a veryhidden sheet).

I found a link how to fatch the MAC address:
http://vbnet.mvps.org/index.html?cod...macaddress.htm

The advantage of this over the dummy file, is that if the dummy file would
be deleted, the workbook still is accesable.

A disadvantage is that someone needs to maintain the workbook, once another
PC is to be added to the list (or needs to be removed). But I guess someone
takes care of workbook updates anyway, so no sweat there...

Cheers,

Nicolaas