Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
BearTrap3 BearTrap3 is offline

Default Copyright or Secure a workbook

Jim thanks for the response. I understand how the process will work but how
do I go about searching for a text file? Also if it doesn't find it how do I
get the program to abort or close? Thanks

"Jim Thomlinson" wrote:

The short answer is NO. if I could figure out how to stop software piracy
then I would be a bit wealthier than I am now. There are a few things you
could do to make it more difficult but nothing that would be foolproof. A
very simple one that I have used internally is to place an empty text file in
an obscure place somewhere on their machine. The only point to the file is
that it is a flag that if it is not there then the program will not operate
(check for the files existence on open). I password protect the code and so
long as it remains my little secret then the spreadsheet is kinda secure. It
will keep stop most users but a sophisticated user could crack it in no time
flat... Kinda like locking my car... It will keep the joy riders out but it
will not stop the professional car theif...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"BearTrap3" wrote:

Here is the problem. I have created an estimation program for a company to
utilize. The owner is afraid that his estimator may copy the program and
leave the company to start his own company or work for a competitor. Of
course having the estimation program that my client uses to bid jobs would be
devastating to my client. Are there any suggestions on how we can secure
this workbook so that we can allow the estimator to start using it without
worrying about him copying it and running off?