Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default How to prevent Excel from formatting Dates ?

I am pasting the following cell into Excel, and I'd like Excel to NOT try to
format it as dates:
08/03/2006

Excel's default behaviour seems to be "oh, this looks like a date, I'll
screw up the formatting", and I end up with 08-03-06 in my cells.

How can make sure that whatever I paste, Excel will be nice enough and just
consider it all text, no matter if it looks like a date or not.

(The only workaround I have is to paste in Notepad, and the use the import
wizard in Excel to set each column to text. A pain in the ***)

Thanks for any help
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Pat" skrev i en meddelelse
I am pasting the following cell into Excel, and I'd like Excel to NOT try
format it as dates:
08/03/2006

Excel's default behaviour seems to be "oh, this looks like a date, I'll
screw up the formatting", and I end up with 08-03-06 in my cells.

How can make sure that whatever I paste, Excel will be nice enough and
just
consider it all text, no matter if it looks like a date or not.

(The only workaround I have is to paste in Notepad, and the use the import
wizard in Excel to set each column to text. A pain in the ***)

Thanks for any help

Start entering with a single quote (') or format the cell as text *before*
entering data.

--
Best regards
Leo Heuser

Followup to newsgroup only please.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sure! Select all cells (click on the top left corner of the sheet) and format
cells as text!
Regards,
Stefi

€˛Pat€¯ ezt Ć*rta:

"Leo Heuser" wrote:

"Pat" skrev i en meddelelse
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Pat" skrev i en meddelelse
Cool ! I can't believe it was so easy.

Thanks to both.

You're welcome.

Leo Heuser

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Be careful when you make the entire worksheet as text. If there is other
data that needs to be recognized as integers for calculation purposes, it
could cause problems downstream.