Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Pat[_24_] Pat[_24_] is offline

Default How to prevent Excel from formatting Dates ?

Cool ! I can't believe it was so easy.

Thanks to both.

"Stefi" wrote:

Sure! Select all cells (click on the top left corner of the sheet) and format
cells as text!
Regards,
Stefi

€˛Pat€¯ ezt Ć*rta:

I'm pasting 5,000 to 40,000 lines with many columns.
Can I format the whole empty spreadsheet as text before pasting ? How ?

"Leo Heuser" wrote:

"Pat" skrev i en meddelelse
I am pasting the following cell into Excel, and I'd like Excel to NOT try
format it as dates:
08/03/2006

Excel's default behaviour seems to be "oh, this looks like a date, I'll
screw up the formatting", and I end up with 08-03-06 in my cells.

How can make sure that whatever I paste, Excel will be nice enough and
just
consider it all text, no matter if it looks like a date or not.

(The only workaround I have is to paste in Notepad, and the use the import
wizard in Excel to set each column to text. A pain in the ***)

Thanks for any help

Start entering with a single quote (') or format the cell as text *before*
entering data.

--
Best regards
Leo Heuser