Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default VBA project duplicated in Project Explorer

Please could someone suggest why I get multiple versions of my VBA project in
Project Explorer? It's irritating because changes I make to the code in one
"clone" don't have any effect if the worksheet seems to be paying attention
to another one.

It seems to be OK if I consistently enter changes only into the uppermost
version of the project (provided I remember to avoid the others) - but why
are the duplicates there anyway?

Sometimes it goes back to one version on reopening the workbook; currently I
have three identical-looking versions in Project Explorer and I'm worried
that some changes will get lost if I accidentally enter in the wrong clone...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

It has never happended to me, but I have seen it discussed. Most say if
they close excel and reopen it clears up.

I suggest you do that when it occurs.

Tom Ogilvy

"teabag" wrote in message
Please could someone suggest why I get multiple versions of my VBA project
in
Project Explorer? It's irritating because changes I make to the code in
one
"clone" don't have any effect if the worksheet seems to be paying
attention
to another one.

It seems to be OK if I consistently enter changes only into the uppermost
version of the project (provided I remember to avoid the others) - but why
are the duplicates there anyway?

Sometimes it goes back to one version on reopening the workbook; currently
have three identical-looking versions in Project Explorer and I'm worried
that some changes will get lost if I accidentally enter in the wrong
clone...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for the quick reply, Tom, however closing and reopening does not clear
up my problem. This morning I started with one set of project items
(workbook, worksheet, modules), closed, reopened, found two sets of identical
items; closed again, reopened and now have three.

I'm going to try rebooting now, since the duplicates I had yesterday had
indeed disappeared this morning; however a full reboot is a bit drastic every
time you want to try out a bit of code in Open or Close Workbook!

I'd be grateful for any further help if available.

teabag

"teabag" wrote in message
Please could someone suggest why I get multiple versions of my VBA project
in
Project Explorer? It's irritating because changes I make to the code in
one
"clone" don't have any effect if the worksheet seems to be paying
attention
to another one.

It seems to be OK if I consistently enter changes only into the uppermost
version of the project (provided I remember to avoid the others) - but why
are the duplicates there anyway?

Sometimes it goes back to one version on reopening the workbook; currently
have three identical-looking versions in Project Explorer and I'm worried
that some changes will get lost if I accidentally enter in the wrong
clone...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

For Tom: OOOPS! Sorry, just realised that the closing and reopening I have
been doing was of the file only. Just tried closing Excel and reopening and
the problem was cleared. Still seems a bit of a pain to have to do this
every time I close the file, but better than a full reboot.

Thanks again,

teabag

"teabag" wrote in message
Please could someone suggest why I get multiple versions of my VBA project
in
Project Explorer? It's irritating because changes I make to the code in
one
"clone" don't have any effect if the worksheet seems to be paying
attention
to another one.

It seems to be OK if I consistently enter changes only into the uppermost
version of the project (provided I remember to avoid the others) - but why
are the duplicates there anyway?

Sometimes it goes back to one version on reopening the workbook; currently
have three identical-looking versions in Project Explorer and I'm worried
that some changes will get lost if I accidentally enter in the wrong
clone...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Closing and opening the file is what causes the problem as I understand it.
I can't say what the technical issue is, but most people don't have a
problem with it.

Tom Ogilvy

"teabag" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Nick, Thanks for the interesting link - always a comfort to read about
fellow-sufferers.
I think I give up - thanks for your time,
Best regards,
teabag

"teabag" wrote:

Er, no, Nick - should I?

Regards,

teabag

"NickHK" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If you have autosave checked on your ToolsOptionsSave tab then you could be
getting a different version number assigned as the file auto saves if changes
have been made in the mean time. I have noticed the version suffix on my
files on occasion but they usually go away when I manually save and close the
file. When you open the file, the basic file should be the one to open, not
the version suffixed files, so you really don't have to worry about it.

"teabag" wrote:

Nick, Thanks for the interesting link - always a comfort to read about
fellow-sufferers.
I think I give up - thanks for your time,
Best regards,
teabag

"teabag" wrote:

Er, no, Nick - should I?

Regards,

teabag

"NickHK" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for this, JLGWhiz. I do have autosave checked and I will stop worrying
about it. Since getting help a few days ago, I have been closing Excel
instead of just the file and this clears the "clones" away - which gels with
your autosave tip, too, I guess.

Sorry about the delay, by the way: the email announcing your response got
caught in our spam filter so I didn't know to look for it till I checked spam
today.

Grateful teabag.

"teabag" wrote:

Nick, Thanks for the interesting link - always a comfort to read about
fellow-sufferers.
I think I give up - thanks for your time,
Best regards,
teabag

"teabag" wrote:

Er, no, Nick - should I?

Regards,

teabag

"NickHK" wrote:

[...]

Junior Member

I had the same issue when I enabled Analysis ToolPack and its related built-ins. These built-ins contain macros too, probably this was the root cause.

After disabling them, the issue disappeared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teabag View Post

"teabag" wrote:

Nick, Thanks for the interesting link - always a comfort to read about
fellow-sufferers.
I think I give up - thanks for your time,
Best regards,
teabag

"teabag" wrote:

Er, no, Nick - should I?