Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Don Don is offline

Default Creating List From Folders

Hi Gang,

Not sure if this is the correct forum or not but here goes....I would like
to create a list of sub-folder names in either xcel or Word. I don't need to
have the contents of the folders shown, only the names of same. All these
sub-folders are in a seperate main folder on my C: drive. There are over 500
sub-folders involved.

If I'm in the wrong place, please advise where I might post this....TIA

Don

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Don,
The free Excel add-in "List Files" will list files and folders or just folders.
It can also include the sub-folders in the list.
Download from ... http://www.realezsites.com/bus/primitivesoftware
No registration required.
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"Don"
wrote in message
Hi Gang,
Not sure if this is the correct forum or not but here goes....I would like
to create a list of sub-folder names in either xcel or Word. I don't need to
have the contents of the folders shown, only the names of same. All these
sub-folders are in a seperate main folder on my C: drive. There are over 500
sub-folders involved.
If I'm in the wrong place, please advise where I might post this....TIA
Don

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sub Finddir()
Dim FSO As Object
Dim fDir As Object
Dim fSubDir As Object
Dim i As Long
Set FSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Set fDir = FSO.GetFolder("C:\MyMainSubFolder")
For Each fSubDir In fDir.SubFolders
i = i + 1
Cells(i, "A").Value = fSubDir.Name
Next fSubDir

Tom Ogilvy

"Don" wrote:

Hi Gang,

Not sure if this is the correct forum or not but here goes....I would like
to create a list of sub-folder names in either xcel or Word. I don't need to
have the contents of the folders shown, only the names of same. All these
sub-folders are in a seperate main folder on my C: drive. There are over 500
sub-folders involved.

If I'm in the wrong place, please advise where I might post this....TIA

Don

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Don Don is offline

double wow.....another quick reply....thanks very much Tom, I'll be trying it
soon,

Thanks again,

Don

"Don" wrote:

Hi Gang,

Not sure if this is the correct forum or not but here goes....I would like
to create a list of sub-folder names in either xcel or Word. I don't need to
have the contents of the folders shown, only the names of same. All these
sub-folders are in a seperate main folder on my C: drive. There are over 500
sub-folders involved.

If I'm in the wrong place, please advise where I might post this....TIA

Don

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Don Don is offline

Jim,

Worked perfectly....exactly what I was looking for.....Thanks much,

Don

wrote in message
Hi Gang,
Not sure if this is the correct forum or not but here goes....I would like
to create a list of sub-folder names in either xcel or Word. I don't need to
have the contents of the folders shown, only the names of same. All these
sub-folders are in a seperate main folder on my C: drive. There are over 500
sub-folders involved.
If I'm in the wrong place, please advise where I might post this....TIA
Don

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Don Don is offline

Tom,

Must be something I'm not understanding here....and that's not
unusual....here's what I tried but it didn't do a thing, didn't give me a
list or even an error msg. Can you please tell me what I've done wrong here?

As I indicated above in this thread, Jim's add-in worked fine and gave me
what I wanted but I'd sure like to understand your code also. Any help would
be greatly appreciated.

Don

"Don" wrote:

Hi Gang,

Not sure if this is the correct forum or not but here goes....I would like
to create a list of sub-folder names in either xcel or Word. I don't need to
have the contents of the folders shown, only the names of same. All these
sub-folders are in a seperate main folder on my C: drive. There are over 500
sub-folders involved.

If I'm in the wrong place, please advise where I might post this....TIA

Don

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You are welcome. The feedback is appreciated.
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA
http://www.officeletter.com/blink/specialsort.html

wrote in message
Hi Gang,
Not sure if this is the correct forum or not but here goes....I would like
to create a list of sub-folder names in either xcel or Word. I don't need to
have the contents of the folders shown, only the names of same. All these
sub-folders are in a seperate main folder on my C: drive. There are over 500
sub-folders involved.
If I'm in the wrong place, please advise where I might post this....TIA
Don

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Don Don is offline

ooops....forgot to post the code....here it is:

Sub Finddir()

Dim FSO As Object
Dim fDir As Object
Dim fSubDir As Object

Dim i As Long

Set FSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Set fDir = FSO.GetFolder("C:\Documents and Settings\Brner\My Documents\My
Music\CDG Zips")
For Each fSubDir In fDir.SubFolders
i = i + 1
Cells(i, "A").Value = fSubDir.Name
Next fSubDir

End Sub

"Don" wrote:

Hi Gang,

Not sure if this is the correct forum or not but here goes....I would like
to create a list of sub-folder names in either xcel or Word. I don't need to
have the contents of the folders shown, only the names of same. All these
sub-folders are in a seperate main folder on my C: drive. There are over 500
sub-folders involved.

If I'm in the wrong place, please advise where I might post this....TIA

Don

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Don Don is offline

Tom,

Not sure what's going on here.....I opened a clean wb and inserted the code
as I posted into a module with sheet1 being the active sheet. Now I'm
getting an error.

"Ambiguous name detected: fDir"

The line "fDir = FSO............." highlighted in red.

Don

"Don" wrote:

Hi Gang,

Not sure if this is the correct forum or not but here goes....I would like
to create a list of sub-folder names in either xcel or Word. I don't need to
have the contents of the folders shown, only the names of same. All these
sub-folders are in a seperate main folder on my C: drive. There are over 500
sub-folders involved.

If I'm in the wrong place, please advise where I might post this....TIA

Don

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Just to restate. I copied the code from YOUR email. Cleaned up any wordwrap
problems and Changed the argument to a valid directory for my computer and
ran it. It worked fine for me.

So I can't say what your problem might be.

Tom Ogilvy

"Don" wrote:

Hi Gang,

Not sure if this is the correct forum or not but here goes....I would like
to create a list of sub-folder names in either xcel or Word. I don't need to
have the contents of the folders shown, only the names of same. All these
sub-folders are in a seperate main folder on my C: drive. There are over 500
sub-folders involved.

If I'm in the wrong place, please advise where I might post this....TIA

Don

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Don Don is offline

Tom,

Ok, found the problem and aside from me being a dummy here (which I find
very hard to correct), the code now works. The error was caused by a word
wrap problem. But the dummy thing I was doing was trying to make a list of
zip files in that folder. The folder I directed your code to contained only
zipped files, another folder contains the unzipped files (each in it's unique
folder) Once I directed the code to the unzipped folder, the code worked
fine, and the list of sub-folders was generated on Sheet1, Col A, as you said
it would be.

Thanks for staying with me on this, I do appreciate your help here.

Have a great weekend,

Don