Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Tom Ogilvy Tom Ogilvy is offline

Default Creating List From Folders

Just to restate. I copied the code from YOUR email. Cleaned up any wordwrap
problems and Changed the argument to a valid directory for my computer and
ran it. It worked fine for me.

So I can't say what your problem might be.

Tom Ogilvy

"Don" wrote:

Tom,

Not sure what's going on here.....I opened a clean wb and inserted the code
as I posted into a module with sheet1 being the active sheet. Now I'm
getting an error.

"Ambiguous name detected: fDir"

The line "fDir = FSO............." highlighted in red.

Don

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote:

In contrast, the code ran fine for me. did you look at the activesheet to
see the results?

Tom Ogilvy

"Don" wrote:

ooops....forgot to post the code....here it is:

Sub Finddir()

Dim FSO As Object
Dim fDir As Object
Dim fSubDir As Object

Dim i As Long

Set FSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Set fDir = FSO.GetFolder("C:\Documents and Settings\Brner\My Documents\My
Music\CDG Zips")
For Each fSubDir In fDir.SubFolders
i = i + 1
Cells(i, "A").Value = fSubDir.Name
Next fSubDir

End Sub

"Don" wrote:

Tom,

Must be something I'm not understanding here....and that's not
unusual....here's what I tried but it didn't do a thing, didn't give me a
list or even an error msg. Can you please tell me what I've done wrong here?

As I indicated above in this thread, Jim's add-in worked fine and gave me
what I wanted but I'd sure like to understand your code also. Any help would
be greatly appreciated.

Don

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote:

Sub Finddir()
Dim FSO As Object
Dim fDir As Object
Dim fSubDir As Object
Dim i As Long
Set FSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Set fDir = FSO.GetFolder("C:\MyMainSubFolder")
For Each fSubDir In fDir.SubFolders
i = i + 1
Cells(i, "A").Value = fSubDir.Name
Next fSubDir

Tom Ogilvy

"Don" wrote:

Hi Gang,

Not sure if this is the correct forum or not but here goes....I would like
to create a list of sub-folder names in either xcel or Word. I don't need to
have the contents of the folders shown, only the names of same. All these
sub-folders are in a seperate main folder on my C: drive. There are over 500
sub-folders involved.

If I'm in the wrong place, please advise where I might post this....TIA

Don