Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Reminder pop-up

Hello group,

Is it possible to have a pop-up window that reminds me of a birthday or
anniversary etc. I realize Outlook can do this for me but I'm in sales and I
have a spreadsheet with a customer database and sales tracker. It would be
convenient to have that all in one spreadsheet. I'm not an expert in excel
yet, can anyone point me in the right direction?
Thanks,
Digital2k

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Better to use

If Date = DateSerial(Year(Date),7,23) Then MsgBox "hh"

in case of international date formats.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Don Guillett" wrote in message
try
If Date = DateValue("7/23/" & Year(Date)) Then MsgBox "hh"

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Digital2k" wrote in message
Hello group,

Is it possible to have a pop-up window that reminds me of a
birthday or anniversary etc. I realize Outlook can do this for
me but I'm in sales and I have a spreadsheet with a customer
database and sales tracker. It would be convenient to have
that all in one spreadsheet. I'm not an expert in excel yet,
can anyone point me in the right direction?
Thanks,
Digital2k

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I have seen the other replies and not sure how they work, though they may be
exactly what you are looking for. However, I thought I would give another
option.

CONDITIONAL FORMATTING

By using conditional formatting, you can have a list of people (usually
listed from top to bottom in a spreadsheet) and indicate different events, ie
birthdays, anniversarys, etc. For purposes of this example, I am going to
reference cell C1 as the cell having an anniversary date and column C as the
column with anniversary dates of several people.

1) Click on cell C1
2) Click on FORMAT on the menu bar, then CONDITIONAL FORMAT
3) A window will pop up. On the left side of this window you will see €œCELL
VALUE IS€ with a down arrow. Click on down arrow and change to FORMULA IS.
4) In the box to the right of FORMULA IS, type or paste the following formula:
=AND(C1<€€, MONTH(C1) = MONTH(TODAY())).
5) Click on FORMAT within the conditional format box and set up how you want
the cell to format if condition is true. Example: Have a BOLD WHITE font
with a RED BACKGROUND.
6) Click OK when finished

The following directions will paste the conditional format in C1 to the rest
of the column.

1) Click on cell C1
2) Click on the paintbrush icon located on the toolbar
3) Move mouse pointer to cell C2. Press and hold the left mouse button
while on C2, then scroll down, staying in same column until you have reached
the end of the list. If you scroll past the end of the list, it will be fine
in the event you add people later, the conditional formatting will already be
in place.
4) Release the button at whatever point you wish to stop pasting.

If you need an explanation of the formula I gave, let me know.

Les
"Digital2k" wrote:

Hello group,

Is it possible to have a pop-up window that reminds me of a birthday or
anniversary etc. I realize Outlook can do this for me but I'm in sales and I
have a spreadsheet with a customer database and sales tracker. It would be
convenient to have that all in one spreadsheet. I'm not an expert in excel
yet, can anyone point me in the right direction?
Thanks,
Digital2k

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thank you,
I don't mean to appear ignorant but where am I entering this formula? When I
add the = with the formula in the cell I get a error.

"Digital2k" wrote in message
Hello group,

Is it possible to have a pop-up window that reminds me of a birthday or
anniversary etc. I realize Outlook can do this for me but I'm in sales
and I have a spreadsheet with a customer database and sales tracker. It
would be convenient to have that all in one spreadsheet. I'm not an
expert in excel yet, can anyone point me in the right direction?
Thanks,
Digital2k

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

OK, Thank you, since this is a macro, Please explain how to set it up in
laymen's terms.
Thanks in advance for your patients.
Digital2k

"Don Guillett" wrote in message
formulas have = preceding them. This is a macro
You did say POP UP. formulas don't pop up.
However, the conditional formatting solution may fit your needs.

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Digital2k" wrote in message
Hello group,

Is it possible to have a pop-up window that reminds me of a birthday
or anniversary etc. I realize Outlook can do this for me but I'm in
sales and I have a spreadsheet with a customer database and sales
tracker. It would be convenient to have that all in one spreadsheet.
I'm not an expert in excel yet, can anyone point me in the right
direction?
Thanks,
Digital2k

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thank you for your suggestion. I will use that in another application. Thank
you also for explaining it so well. However I do need something that will
produce a pop up.
I don't know how to apply the info mentioned in the other replies
Digital2k

"Digital2k" wrote:

Hello group,

Is it possible to have a pop-up window that reminds me of a birthday or
anniversary etc. I realize Outlook can do this for me but I'm in sales
and I
have a spreadsheet with a customer database and sales tracker. It would
be
convenient to have that all in one spreadsheet. I'm not an expert in
excel
yet, can anyone point me in the right direction?
Thanks,
Digital2k

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Right click on the sheet tab and select view code. In the resulting module,
in the left dropdown at the top of the module, select Worksheet and from the
right dropdown, select Activate. This will place the Worksheet_Activate
event in the module:

Private Sub Worksheet_Activate()

End Sub

in this declaration, you can place code to show a popup box by checking
against conditions on that sheet. Say your dates are in column C

Private Sub Worksheet_Activate()
Dim rng as Range, dt as Date
Dim cell as Range
set rng = Me.Range(me.Cells(2,"C"),me.cells(rows.count,"C"). End(xlup))
set dt = Date + 7
for each cell in rng
if cell.Value <= dt and cell.Value = Date then
msgbox Me.Cells(cell.row,"A").Value & " has an event on " _
vbNewLine & cell.Text
end if
Next
End Sub

This looks and sees if there is an event in the next 7 days.

Adjust to suit you needs.

Chip Pearson's page giving an overview of Events.

Tom Ogilvy