Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default pop up box reminder

How do I make a pop up box appear, upon opening a spreadsheet, that reminds
the user to "change the date" in the spreadsheet? I have statistical
spreadsheets that calculate data based on the monthend date and several
collectors of the information forget to change the date. Not such a bad thing
because I can always change it when it's emailed to me.....the problem lies
when the user prints and distributes data that is not correct becasue of the
date. I thought a pop up box would help.....or do you have any other ideas?
Or is there a way to open the spreadsheet and have the curser stuck on a
specific cell and it will not move until a date is entered? Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Could you not derive a date from the system date (i.e. TODAY)? If your
users were entering data during August, would the data relate to the
end of July? If so, then this formula will return the date for the
last day of the previous month:

=DATE(YEAR(TODAY()), MONTH(TODAY()),0)

This one will give you the last day of the current month:

=DATE(YEAR(TODAY()), MONTH(TODAY())+1,0)

You could use one of these instead of asking users to enter a date.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Aug 10, 1:18 am, laidebug
wrote:
How do I make a pop up box appear, upon opening a spreadsheet, that reminds
the user to "change the date" in the spreadsheet? I have statistical
spreadsheets that calculate data based on the monthend date and several
collectors of the information forget to change the date. Not such a bad thing
because I can always change it when it's emailed to me.....the problem lies
when the user prints and distributes data that is not correct becasue of the
date. I thought a pop up box would help.....or do you have any other ideas?
Or is there a way to open the spreadsheet and have the curser stuck on a
specific cell and it will not move until a date is entered? Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks Pete, that would help on most of the spreadsheets but there are some
that create invoices for billing. While I encourage the users to save each
month with the monthend date in the name, once they reopen the spreadsheet
(to print another copy...whatever), the original billing date has changed to
the current date.