Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Excel11.xlb

I'm trying to enforce standards on my users so I don't want them customising
fonts and icon bars. One way would be to disable the options but I have a
preference for leaving the options in place and just deleting the changes as
they exit. To do this I'm trying to delete Excel11.xlb as they exit but I
can't seem to get the code in the right place for it to trigger. One attempt
did in fact delete it only for a subsequent event in the closing excel
sequence of events to put it back. Has anyone any ideas on this?
--
Paul
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

At some point in the closing sequence, Excel has to write that file to save
modifications. I would think it would occur after any opportunity you have
to delete the file, so as you observe, it is recreated. Although attractive,
I don't see this as a viable alternative, but someone else may have a better
idea.

Tom Ogilvy

"Paul - NottsUK" wrote:

I'm trying to enforce standards on my users so I don't want them customising
fonts and icon bars. One way would be to disable the options but I have a
preference for leaving the options in place and just deleting the changes as
they exit. To do this I'm trying to delete Excel11.xlb as they exit but I
can't seem to get the code in the right place for it to trigger. One attempt
did in fact delete it only for a subsequent event in the closing excel
sequence of events to put it back. Has anyone any ideas on this?
--
Paul

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Maybe....

If you have a common network folder, you could put your *.xlb file in that
folder (and nothing else).

Then for each user/pc, you'll have to change a setting:
tools|options|General|at startup, open all files in
point at that common folder.

When excel starts, it'll load the user's *.xlb file, but then (very quickly),
that toolbars will be replaced with the one in the common network folder.

====
Another option would be to add something to a workbook (any workbook???) that
opens that *.xlb file:

Option Explicit
Sub auto_open()
Workbooks.Open "C:\yourprivatetoolbarfolder\excel11.xlb"
End Sub

====
Or provide the users with a new shortcut to start excel--but the shortcut
actually copies your *.xlb file into the correct location. This won't help if
the user starts excel by double clicking on a *.xls file in windows explorer,
though.

====

And one more thought.

Don't do this.

If I were one of your users and you destroyed a toolbar file (with no warning!)
that I had customized, I'd be ticked off. I'd look for a different
solution--maybe formatting the ranges each time the user changed selection--or
when it was opened the next time--or....

Paul - NottsUK wrote:

I'm trying to enforce standards on my users so I don't want them customising
fonts and icon bars. One way would be to disable the options but I have a
preference for leaving the options in place and just deleting the changes as
they exit. To do this I'm trying to delete Excel11.xlb as they exit but I
can't seem to get the code in the right place for it to trigger. One attempt
did in fact delete it only for a subsequent event in the closing excel
sequence of events to put it back. Has anyone any ideas on this?
--
Paul

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Tom & Dave

Thanks to you both for your answers.

What I'm charged with is trying to enforce a corporate standard without
taking away any of the normal functionality. The user isn't entitled to be
ticked off by the corporate standard being forced upon him/her it's what none
as tough!

--
Paul