Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Form, or seperate text boxes?

Hi Guys,
I have a list of names in Column A, with various numbers which
represent a date difference, in columns C:F...
I need a button to activate some form of input field so that the user
can select the name from a list, and then record some dates for that
name, which I can then grab and play with, in the rest of my Macro...

Can I do it with a form, or do I need to use seperate input boxes if
I want to capture the fields?

Input mediums are something totally new to me, so I'd really
appreciate some code or explicit instruction for this one! I've had a
look at creating a new form to call from the button_click sub() but I
haven't found how to link a combo box to a name range, or record the
date fields once entered either...

Thank you,

Gareth

--
pianoman
pianoman's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=33712

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Gareth,

You could use this approach

If Target.Row = 1 Then
'you can now get other fields
MsgBox .Offset(0, 1) Value 'column B
MsgBox .Offset(0, 2) Value 'column C
MsgBox .Offset(0, 3) Value 'column D
'etc.

---
HTH

Bob Phillips

"pianoman" wrote in
message ...

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Bob,
Thanks very much for the quick reply...

I'm getting aerrors when I paste this in, I'm sure I'm missing
something!

When I paste in as in your message, I get "Invalid or Unqualified
reference" and when I remove the space between "msgbox" and ".offset",
it says it expects an "=" instead of the ""

What should this code do? Bring up a box with the values for those
columns in editable text fields or something? If so, it's not these
fields that I need to edit, they are formula based, working on fields
in a different sheet, and it's those fields that I need to affect with
the new 'variables'. There are a number of things I need to do with
those fileds, so ideally, the form would just capture them, to use
later.

something like...

Name <select from list
Annual Date <Please enter completed review Date here
New Annual Date <Please enter New Annual Date Here

Thanks Bob,

Gareth

Bob Phillips Wrote:
[...]

View this thread:

pianoman
pianoman's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=33712
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=544994

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sorry, rubbish code, should have been

If Target.Column = 1 Then
'you can now get other fields
MsgBox Target.Offset(0, 1) 'column B
MsgBox Target.Offset(0, 2) 'column C
MsgBox Target.Offset(0, 3) 'column D
'etc.

All it will do is show you what is in columns B, C, D in that row, It is
only doing that to show you how you can access it with your code.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"pianoman" wrote in
message ...

Bob Phillips Wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Bob,
Thanks again, that works fine when the data is there already...
However I need it to do what ever it's going to do on a button click
really. I run code to refresh the sheet with data from several
sources, and at the moment, the Worksheet_selectionchange part is
kicking in before the data is refreshed, which crashes the macro.

Also, I'm not sure this is going to solve my problem is it? let me
re-iterate in case I wasn't clear first time round! :)
I need to be able to choose a name from a list (sourced from column a),
presumably record the row number for that name or something, then input
dates into two different input fields, record those values and then run
seperate code to jump to the master data sheet, enter those values into
the relevant columns in the row number recorded from the form earlier.
Does the code you've given me get me closer to that goal?

Thanks

--
pianoman
pianoman's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=33712
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=544994

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You could attach a similar bit of code to a button, and use it like so when
you click the button

Sub MyMacro()

With Activecell
If .Column = 1 Then
'you can now get other fields
MsgBox .Offset(0, 1) 'column B
MsgBox .Offset(0, 2) 'column C
MsgBox .Offset(0, 3) 'column D
'etc.
End If
End With

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Ok, cool so I can run that with a button click, but it's still not doing
what I need... how about the input fields bit referring to the other
sheet?

I need to be able to choose a name from a list (sourced from column

a),
presumably record the row number for that name or something, then

input
dates into two different input fields, record those values and then

run
seperate code to jump to the master data sheet, enter those values

into
the relevant columns in the row number recorded from the form

earlier.
Does the code you've given me get me closer to that goal?

Thanks Bob, appreciate your help.

Gareth

Bob Phillips Wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Gareth,

The code that I gave you assumed that you would select the name in question,
and then click the button to run the macro. Therefore the activecell would
contain your selected name, and code like

ACtivecell.Offset(0,1).Value

gets the value from column B (1 column right of activecell) in that same
row. Likewise, you can set a value with

Activecell.Offset(0,1).Value = date

which puts today's date in there. You mention inserting dates, do you need
to get those dates from the user, somewhere else, or is it today's date.

Moving onto to the master sheet, you mention relevant columns. We can do
that with something like

With Activecell
Worksheets("Master").Cells(.Row,"H").Value = .Offset(0,1).Value
End With

What this does is copy the value in column B of the selected name to column
H of the Master sheet.

Is this any better?

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"pianoman" wrote in
message ...

Bob Phillips Wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Ah, i see what you mean... Selecting the name that way... A list, or
combobox or something would be better, as the end users will expect to
have everything laid in front of them, all in the same place when they
click the update button, but I see what you mean now... that would do
the job for the name part.

The dates will need to come from the user, they will need to input
two dates, after they've selected the name, and then the dates that
they enter, stored and assigned to variables, so that I can use them
later. It's really only this Input part that I'm struggling with.
Once I've got the Name.row, Date1 and Date2 variables defined from the
User Input, I'm good to go!

Thanks Bob,

Bob Phillips Wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Then use something like

Dim ans
Dim dteFirst As Date, dteSecond As Date
Dim IsValidDate As Boolean

IsValidDate = False
Do
ans = InputBox("Please supply first date")
If ans = "" Then
IsValidDate = True
Else
On Error Resume Next
dteFirst = CDate(ans)
On Error GoTo 0
If dteFirst < 0 Then
IsValidDate = True
Else
MsgBox "Invalid date", vbInformation + vbOK
Loop Until IsValidDate
IsValidDate = False
Do
ans = InputBox("Please supply second date")
If ans = "" Then
IsValidDate = True
Else
On Error Resume Next
dteSecond = CDate(ans)
On Error GoTo 0
If dteSecond < 0 Then
IsValidDate = True
Else
MsgBox "Invalid date", vbInformation + vbOK
Loop Until IsValidDate

'now use those values

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

(replace xxxx in email address with googlemail if mailing direct)

"pianoman" wrote in
message ...

Bob Phillips Wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Bob, thanks a million.

I need to impliment it and work it into my macros, but it looks spot
on.

Many thanks for your time.

Cheers,

Gareth