Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Seeking Help with Cell/Range Height and Width Properties

I set the Print Area of my worksheet to a single cell. In code, after
retrieving the Range to an object called PR,

PR.Height = 12.75
PR.Width = 48

This looks about right to me. The default cell looks to be about 4 times
wider than it is high.

Now PR.Height definitely correlates to what I see within the Excel UI. If I
right click on the Row header and select Row Height... I get a dialog box
which states 12.75.

However, PR.Width is a little less straightforward. If I right click on the
Column header and select Column Width... I get a dialog box which states
8.43. How does 8.43, correlate to a value of 48 which I get programmatically
through the automation object model?

And secondly, what are the units of measurement represented by these values?

Thanks very much for your help!

- Joseph Geretz -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Points?!!? That's unique!

I brute forced it. Clipped the screenshot into Corel and fiddled around with
the units indicator until the numbers matched. 12.75 points high by 48
points wide.

But I'm still wondering about why the UI reports a a width of 8.43. I note
that 48 points = 16.933 millimeters which is almost (but not precisely) 8.43
* 2. What sort of a unit is roughly half a millimeter?

Thanks!

"Joseph Geretz" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Joseph:

8.43 is the number of zeros that will fit in the cell using the default
font. Pretty intuitive, huh? See

http://www.dailydoseofexcel.com/arch...ths-in-points/

for more information.

--
Dick Kusleika
MS MVP - Excel

Joseph Geretz wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks Dick!

Great link - I never would have thought of that! Gotta give some developer
credit ;-)

I'm getting quite an education on how to acquire a range and then get
information regarding the physical area of the range. (In points, but from
points it's easy to gi to inches, twips, pixels, any other unit of
measurement I need.)

Is there any way to go the other way around? That is, given a height and
width, is there any way to start from a cell at the top left (I'm willing to
use A1 for now) and have Excel hand me back the Range of cells which qualify
for inclusion in the specified area?

Thanks for your help!

- Joe Geretz -

Joseph Geretz wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

There's no built in way that I know. You'd have to loop down the column and
across the rows adding up the row heights and column widths as you go and
stopping when you hit your number.

--
Dick Kusleika
MS MVP - Excel