Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Dick Kusleika[_4_] Dick Kusleika[_4_] is offline

Default Seeking Help with Cell/Range Height and Width Properties

There's no built in way that I know. You'd have to loop down the column and
across the rows adding up the row heights and column widths as you go and
stopping when you hit your number.

--
Dick Kusleika
MS MVP - Excel

Joseph Geretz wrote:
Thanks Dick!

Great link - I never would have thought of that! Gotta give some
developer credit ;-)

I'm getting quite an education on how to acquire a range and then get
information regarding the physical area of the range. (In points, but
from points it's easy to gi to inches, twips, pixels, any other unit
of measurement I need.)

Is there any way to go the other way around? That is, given a height
and width, is there any way to start from a cell at the top left (I'm
willing to use A1 for now) and have Excel hand me back the Range of
cells which qualify for inclusion in the specified area?

Thanks for your help!

- Joe Geretz -

"Dick Kusleika" wrote in message
Joseph:

8.43 is the number of zeros that will fit in the cell using the
default font. Pretty intuitive, huh? See

http://www.dailydoseofexcel.com/arch...ths-in-points/

for more information.

--
Dick Kusleika
MS MVP - Excel

Joseph Geretz wrote:
I set the Print Area of my worksheet to a single cell. In code,
after retrieving the Range to an object called PR,

PR.Height = 12.75
PR.Width = 48

This looks about right to me. The default cell looks to be about 4
times wider than it is high.

Now PR.Height definitely correlates to what I see within the Excel
UI. If I right click on the Row header and select Row Height... I
get a dialog box which states 12.75.

However, PR.Width is a little less straightforward. If I right click
on the Column header and select Column Width... I get a dialog box
which states 8.43. How does 8.43, correlate to a value of 48 which
I get programmatically through the automation object model?

And secondly, what are the units of measurement represented by these
values?
Thanks very much for your help!

- Joseph Geretz -