Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default what formula can I use to link two different excel spreadsheets?

I am trying to link one spreadsheet to another using a common Find text box
that will locate an instance of a string. Basically I have a inventory
spreadsheet that contains all of the possible parts, and I also have a
on-hand iventory of what I actually have. I am trying to create a link
between the parts list and the on-hand invetory. Ideally I want to have the
on-hand inventory populate itself once the quantities change, but that is a
whole other task. Any help with what kind of formula to use to link two
different spreadsheets using a common find text box is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You might be better off with an Access database, but a good alternative
might
be to use SQL. This works on closed workbooks, so it would work fine
on your workbook holding all the possible parts.

RBS

"nb185022" wrote in message
I am trying to link one spreadsheet to another using a common Find text box
that will locate an instance of a string. Basically I have a inventory
spreadsheet that contains all of the possible parts, and I also have a
on-hand iventory of what I actually have. I am trying to create a link
between the parts list and the on-hand invetory. Ideally I want to have
the
on-hand inventory populate itself once the quantities change, but that is
whole other task. Any help with what kind of formula to use to link two
different spreadsheets using a common find text box is greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Depending what you are doing you may be able to get away with a sumproduct.
Here is a link for you...

HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"nb185022" wrote:

I am trying to link one spreadsheet to another using a common Find text box
that will locate an instance of a string. Basically I have a inventory
spreadsheet that contains all of the possible parts, and I also have a
on-hand iventory of what I actually have. I am trying to create a link
between the parts list and the on-hand invetory. Ideally I want to have the
on-hand inventory populate itself once the quantities change, but that is a
whole other task. Any help with what kind of formula to use to link two
different spreadsheets using a common find text box is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Why keep them in seperate workbooks? Why not keep them in seperate worksheets
in the same workbook?

To answer your question though, in your formulas just use
"[filename.xls]sheetname!$A$1" without the quotes to access data in the other
workbook. Simply change filename.xls to the full path to your file and
sheetname to the worksheet you want to connect to and $a$1 to the cells you
want to use.

Hope this helps.