Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Change the colour of a row depending on the contents of a date cell

Hi,

I've got a spreadsheet which is full of various bits of information,
spread accross a number of columns, for example:

Name | workstream | due date | comments |
1 | A | yesterday | |
2 | B | today |

3 | C | tomorrow | |

I'd like to put some logic in the sheet that notices that the first row
is overdue - and so colours the whole of that row to red to make it
stand out....

I can probably record a macro to sort this out, but was wondering if
there was some way to put the logic in the sheet, so that I wouldn't
have to explicitly run a macro - it would just "get done" (whenever the
sheet is opened)... is this possible somehow?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
GB GB is offline

Default Change the colour of a row depending on the contents of a date cel

Yes, you can use conditional formatting under the format option of the
toolbar. If you apply conditional formatting to say the first cell in the
column of choice, and assign your condition. Then you can copy that cell.
Highlight everything you want to apply that condition to in the column, and
paste special formatting. :) Task done.

" wrote:

Hi,

I've got a spreadsheet which is full of various bits of information,
spread accross a number of columns, for example:

Name | workstream | due date | comments |
1 | A | yesterday | |
2 | B | today |

3 | C | tomorrow | |

I'd like to put some logic in the sheet that notices that the first row
is overdue - and so colours the whole of that row to red to make it
stand out....

I can probably record a macro to sort this out, but was wondering if
there was some way to put the logic in the sheet, so that I wouldn't
have to explicitly run a macro - it would just "get done" (whenever the
sheet is opened)... is this possible somehow?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

that almost does exactly what I want! work's brilliantly for the cell
with the date in it (when I conditionally format it to be less than a
cell with today() in it), but how would I get it to colour the whole
row in?

Cheers

Chris

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

sorted - thanks for your help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
GB GB is offline

Default Change the colour of a row depending on the contents of a date

Sorry I speak american. :) I assume by the reply below that you found the
answer? :) Otherwise, just apply the same autoformat referring to the cell
that is being evaluated to everything in the row... I.e. autoformat such
that if Cell $A1 meets a specified criteria then it is red. Copy that cell
and pastespecial formatting. With the dollar sign only before A, as you copy
across it will always refer to A1, as you copy down it will refer to the row
number as it relates to the original equation. I.e., if Row 1 is red when A1
is wrong, then when copying down, Row 2 will be red when A2 is wrong, etc...

" wrote:

sorted - thanks for your help