Junior Member

Default Filter ZIP codes into ranges

I am working on a project to take a list of ZIP codes (29,133 rows) and sort it by territory, then find all ZIPs in that territory that are in sequential order and make a ZIP range from the 2 extremes in the sequential group.

The logic behind what I want to do goes like this:

Sort by Region code, then by Zone #, then by ZIP code. Find all groups of ZIP codes sequentially ordered and append the first ZIP in the group to column X and the last ZIP in the group to Column Y.

Regions are made up of territories, territories are mad up of zones. The list should be sorted by zip code in ascending order. All I need it to do is to take all of the zip codes that are in sequential order an put the first one in the sequential group in a cell to the right and the last one in the sequence in the cell to the right of that.

Or the entire sequence can be made in to a range of the extremes in the group.

For example:
Zip Code Zone Region Code Territory Result
07002 0 R6 R6-0 07002
07003 5 R6 R6-5 07003-07004
07004 5 R6 R6-5
07006 0 R6 R6-0 07006-07007
07007 0 R6 R6-0
07009 0 R6 R6-0 07009
07017 0 R6 R6-0 07017-07019
07018 0 R6 R6-0
07019 0 R6 R6-0

The ranges are broken out by zone. I am putting these in a database to track sales. Unless I condense the consecutive zips into ranges I will have 29,000 rules in the database, which will choke my computer. My goal is to cut that down to 14,000 - 15,000 zip code rules. I hope that helps.

Last edited by ronsmail : January 28th 12 at 02:27 AM Reason: better explanation.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On 1/26/2012 9:53 AM, ronsmail wrote:
I am working on a project to take a list of ZIP codes (29,133 rows) and
sort it by territory, then find all ZIPs in that territory that are in
sequential order and make a ZIP range from the 2 extremes in the
sequential group.

The logic behind what I want to do goes like this:

Sort by Region code, then by Zone #, then by ZIP code. Find all groups
of ZIP codes sequentially ordered and append the first ZIP in the group
to column X and the last ZIP in the group to Column Y.

I would consider doing everything with arrays to make troubleshooting
easy, and to keep the code fast:

Store the data for region, zone #, and zip in a text file or other
database file that can be read from Excel.

Read the text file into an array: read the whole file into a string the
split it based on the vbcrlf at the end of each line.

Sort the array by region.

Copy the array elements that have the data you're interested in, minus
the no longer needed region field, to a 2nd array.

Erase the first array to save memory.

Sort the 2nd array by zone #.

Copy the array elements that have the data you're interested in, minus
the no longer needed zone #, to a 3rd array.

Erase the second array to save memory.

Sort the 3rd array by zip.

Now it will be easy to check for sequential values and display them in
Excel.

Mike

Junior Member

I can write the code to do the sorting and sequential check you described in VB6, you can easily adapt it to Excel. Is the data private? If not, do you have a flat text file that has all of the data in it? Or do you have it in a spreadsheet such that you cold save it to a csv file and send it to me? If so I will write up a quick program and send you the program and the source code so you can see how I did it.

Mike
Junior Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscir View Post
I can write the code to do the sorting and sequential check you described in VB6, you can easily adapt it to Excel. Is the data private? If not, do you have a flat text file that has all of the data in it? Or do you have it in a spreadsheet such that you cold save it to a csv file and send it to me? If so I will write up a quick program and send you the program and the source code so you can see how I did it.

Mike
It is confidential client data. But I can strip out the confidential data and just send you the list of zip codes. I would have done this myself but I was only given 48 hours to do it. Spending much of that time in airports doesn't help. I appreciate the help.

Ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On 27/01/2012 4:53 AM, ronsmail wrote:
I am working on a project to take a list of ZIP codes (29,133 rows) and
sort it by territory, then find all ZIPs in that territory that are in
sequential order and make a ZIP range from the 2 extremes in the
sequential group.

The logic behind what I want to do goes like this:

Sort by Region code, then by Zone #, then by ZIP code. Find all groups
of ZIP codes sequentially ordered and append the first ZIP in the group
to column X and the last ZIP in the group to Column Y.

Hi Ron

Try this link for Debra Dalgliesh

It provides the steps for setting up a dependent data validation list
which may help with what you are looking for.

HTH
Mick.

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscir View Post
I can write the code to do the sorting and sequential check you described in VB6, you can easily adapt it to Excel. Is the data private? If not, do you have a flat text file that has all of the data in it? Or do you have it in a spreadsheet such that you cold save it to a csv file and send it to me? If so I will write up a quick program and send you the program and the source code so you can see how I did it.

Mike
Mike,

Here is a CSV of generic data. Can you explain how to adapt the VB6 to excel?

Last edited by ronsmail : January 27th 12 at 08:45 PM
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Junior Member

On 1/27/2012 5:05 AM, Vacuum Sealed wrote:
On 27/01/2012 4:53 AM, ronsmail wrote:
I am working on a project to take a list of ZIP codes (29,133 rows) and
sort it by territory, then find all ZIPs in that territory that are in
sequential order and make a ZIP range from the 2 extremes in the
sequential group.
The logic behind what I want to do goes like this:
Sort by Region code, then by Zone #, then by ZIP code. Find all groups
of ZIP codes sequentially ordered and append the first ZIP in the group
to column X and the last ZIP in the group to Column Y.

Hi Ron

Try this link for Debra Dalgliesh
It provides the steps for setting up a dependent data validation list
which may help with what you are looking for.
HTH
Mick.

That looks a lot more straight-forward, not to mention easier, than what
I proposed.

Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On 28/01/2012 12:27 PM, mscir wrote:
[...]

--- Posted via news://freenews.netfront.net/ - Complaints to
---

Happy to help.