Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Compile XLS sheet into EXE

Hi All,

I have a lot of excel sheets that containt formula and macros. They are
distributed among different departments who enter the data and send
them back to me for collating all the data into a report. The problem
is : the users frequently meddle with the formula and macros. I've
tried to password protect the cells/macors, however it becomes an issue
when there is a need to change the formula range or macro to include
more columns, ranges etc. I then have to send them the password and
they will then modify the the formula to suit their needs.

Also, the files run into large ones (usually greater than 100MB) at
times.

I would like to know if there is a way we can compile the xls sheet/
workbook into an exe so that it would be more secure and also compress
the xls sheets. I know of the commercial xls compiler(DoneEx XCell
Compiler). I will greatly appreciate if someone would/could point out
the source to a similar program.

Looking forward to your respones.
Thanks & Regds

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

There's no way to realistically compile your Excel file to an executable.
You might consider changing the design of your sheet so that

1. the data is as separated as possible from the rest of the functionality
2. any vba code is in an add-in or separate file

In addition, there are (at least in later version of Excel) some quite
specific modes of protection which would allow some changes but not others.

If the types of changes users need to make are consistent, you could also
look into providing a macro or series of macros which would (eg.) add
columns/ranges instead of having the users do it themselves.

Tim

"Shuvro Basu" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Shuvro Basu wrote:

I would like to know if there is a way we can compile the xls sheet/
workbook into an exe so that it would be more secure and also compress
the xls sheets.

Try Visual Studio .NET.
It's not exaclty what you are asking for, but it may help.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thank you all for your responses. Tim - I did try that, but sometimes
it becomes a hassle since we work on a networked environment with
different computers having different configs. and settings. Sometimes
due to admin restrictions, macros will not run because of the nature of
the user of the computer, hence that possibility is ruled out.

Kris- I would like to try, however I dont have VS .NET and dont really
know where to begin even if i can get my hands on them !

So back to square one. Will check some online resources to see what is
available....however still depend on your guys !!!

With best regards
Shuvro

compile Duplatt New Users to Excel 5 March 26th 09 01:51 AM
Won't Compile GeorgeJ Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 3 July 30th 07 09:22 PM
Help with using a work sheet to compile data lowspark Excel Worksheet Functions 2 May 30th 06 02:47 PM
Compile Different sheets in one sheet Bijan1231 Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 January 24th 06 06:31 AM
VBAProject name compile error, not defined at compile time Matthew Dodds Excel Programming 1 December 13th 05 07:17 PM