Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Bind Columns

First post here, scanned through a few pages of the forum but didn't
find the answer and didn't know what search query would answer my
question.

I want to have 2 columns: one with a certain set of numbers and another
with letters and what I want Excel to bind them together so that I can
sort them numerically or alphabetize but keep the cells that are next
to each other always next to each other.

That's the best way I can explain my problem and thanks for any helpful
replies.

--
DarkChylde
DarkChylde's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28728

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

In the column next to the two you're using, put in the following formula and
sort based on that column.

=CONCATENATE(A1,B1)

"DarkChylde" wrote
in message ...

First post here, scanned through a few pages of the forum but didn't
find the answer and didn't know what search query would answer my
question.

I want to have 2 columns: one with a certain set of numbers and another
with letters and what I want Excel to bind them together so that I can
sort them numerically or alphabetize but keep the cells that are next
to each other always next to each other.

That's the best way I can explain my problem and thanks for any helpful
replies.

--
DarkChylde
DarkChylde's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=484190

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

That's not quite what I needed it to do. If I could relate it to
Photoshop, it'd be like locking layers, where I could lock 2 layers
together and when I move one, both of them would move together, but
could still be individually modified. I want to be able to do the same
thing with certain cells.

--
DarkChylde
DarkChylde's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28728
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=484190

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Bump for reply.

--
DarkChylde
DarkChylde's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28728
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=484190

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Not much point "bumping" if you don't include the text of your origial
question.

Tim.

"DarkChylde"
wrote in message

Bump for reply.

--
DarkChylde
DarkChylde's Profile:

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Does "next to" mean on the same row?

If yes, then select your range (all of it!) first, then use Data|sort. Each row
in the selection will be kept together.

DarkChylde wrote:

First post here, scanned through a few pages of the forum but didn't
find the answer and didn't know what search query would answer my
question.

I want to have 2 columns: one with a certain set of numbers and another
with letters and what I want Excel to bind them together so that I can
sort them numerically or alphabetize but keep the cells that are next
to each other always next to each other.

That's the best way I can explain my problem and thanks for any helpful
replies.

--
DarkChylde
DarkChylde's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28728
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=484190

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

if you click on a column header, then sort the column, the rows will
stay bound...

this is related: does anyone know how to alphabetize by first name in
a spreadsheet that has the last name first? (YGIAGAM why my boss wants
this)
-felix

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

That depends on how the data is laid out.

Me--I'd be reluctant to let excel guess at what I wanted.

===
For your question, I'd separate the names into multiple columns.

Insert a couple to the right of the lastname/firstname column.

Then select data|text to columns
delimited by space

This works well when the names have two components. It doesn't work very well
for names like:

Reginald Osgood Smythe-Jones, Esquire III.

wrote:

if you click on a column header, then sort the column, the rows will
stay bound...

this is related: does anyone know how to alphabetize by first name in
a spreadsheet that has the last name first? (YGIAGAM why my boss wants
this)
-felix

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I guess a better wording for my question using kamchatka1's scenario. I
have a list with 2 columns, one with last names, and one with first
names. I depending on the situation I want to sometimes sort by first
name, sometimes by last name, but always keep their last name and first
name next to each other.