Posted to microsoft.public.access,microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.word.vba

Default PLEASE READ IF YOU PROGRAM: Help Continue Visual Basic

wrote...
ALL MATH IS SUMMING, CATEGORIZING DIP****

Not completely inaccurate. Using sign change, subtraction can be
achieved via summing. Multiplication of a multiplicand by an integer
multiplier is just repeated addition, so can also be achieved via
summing. Division can also be reduced to summing, but that gets messy.
Once you have the 4 basic operations, you can use power series to
approximate exponentiation and logarithms, and there you have all the
operations you need.

Heck, read a book on Goedel's proof and you can see that addition can
be reduced to counting.

It's just grossly inefficient.

i mean seriously here.. is your math 'magic math'

Nope. But what I know how to do is obviously outside your competence.

I can generate permutations easier than you. it's called a CARTESIAN.

SHOW US. Yes, if you have n distinct tokens, you just need to take the
n-fold cartesian product of that set and weed out all nodes in which
one or more of the tokens is repeated, so reducing the n^n nodes to the
n! permutations.

Again, it's just grossly inefficient.

I'm not the one that sees that one tool fits the need for everything.

No?

you're the spreadsheet dork that uses spreadsheets for EVERYTHING
you sit around and build the same damn XLS week in and week out.

So how do I use Excel to run my Perl code?

So far in all the threads in which we've, er, discussed the relative
merits of Excel and Access I've posted more SQL than you've posted SQL
or VBA. That going to change any time in this millenium?

I'm not the one that uses a one-size fits all mentality.

Gee, I use databases when they make the most sense (to me). I use
spreadsheets when they make the most sense. I use commandline and batch
tools when they make the most sense. I'll admit that I have access to
more commandline tools than most Excel or Access users, so that's O/T
in these newsgroups (other than to perforate your arguments).

You're the one who keeps on ranting ACCESS, ACCESS, ACCESS.

and when stuff doesn't fit your peachy little app you run out and use
PERL and PYTHON?

For things like text processing and transforamtion, yup, I use Perl (or
sed or awk when I'm lazy). I also use batch files when they make the
most sense to me.

****ing idiot use VBA / VBS / VB6

Why would I want to become as hopelessly a single trick pony as you?
Since I already know VBA (and don't have VB6), what possible benefit is
there not to learn any other language?

Posted to microsoft.public.access,microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.word.vba

wrote...
and you REALLY think that arrays are that complex?

Apparently they're sufficiently complicated that you haven't been able
to whip up the requested VBA procedure in a week's time. So, no,
they're not complex for me, but there's no evidence to suggest that
they're not too complex for you.

i mean-- seriously harlan.. what are you looking for 'yes, you are
right.. databases can't handle arrays'

No. I'm pretty sure that a competent programmer could handle arrays in
databases. But I'm not at all convinced you can.

spreadsheets can't handle arrays buddy

Really?! I inverted the array I posted in my challence to you last week
before I posted. Seems like Excel can handle that bit of array
processing. You don't seem to be able to, but just because Aaron is
either to ignorant or too stupid to manage it in Access or VBA doesn't
mean that there aren't thousands of high school kids that could.

databases handle 2-dimensional stuff just fine.. and everything you've
ever touched is 2-dimensional by definition..

Sure. Whatever you say.

if you really want the heavy math; you do OLAP

If you (1) have access to OLAP software, and (2) want to waste the time
needed to set up your data in OLAP. And I didn't happen to see any
mention of a matrix inversion function in Microsoft online
documentation for MDX. Care to provide a link?

i mean. .it's got a lot more functions that you spreadsheet dorks are
familiar with

And you're not familiar with.

Yes, I'm sure it can do a lot. I'm just not convinced you can do
anything more than rant. You haven't exactly demonstrated any other
competence.

Posted to microsoft.public.access,microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.word.vba

I can generate permutations easier than you. it's called a CARTESIAN.

SHOW US. Yes, if you have n distinct tokens, you just need to take the
n-fold cartesian product of that set and weed out all nodes in which
one or more of the tokens is repeated, so reducing the n^n nodes to the

n! permutations.

ok.

1) you have a table called N1 that has the numbers from 1 to 100
2) you have a table called N2 that has the numbers from 1 to 100

if you want to cartesian these two tables; to make every possible
combination; all you need to do is

SELECT N1.N AS N1, N2.N AS N2 FROM N1, N2

this will give you a nice little combination of every possible
combination for N1 and N2.

all you have to do is 'forget to write a join' and you get a cartesian.

which.. doesn't seem all THAT cool.

but pretend I have a years table and a months table.

Select Y.YYYY, M.MMM FROM tblYEAR Y, tblMONTH M

This would give you a nice little 'spreadsheet' of every combination of
years and months.

you could still filter it. you could still say 'give me all the months
for years 2003, 2004, 2005 by adding a simple where clause.

I'll look at the whole determinant thing this weekend; i dont have jack
**** for freetime right now; it's the oldest sons' bday.. i can't
believe he's nine already.. i mean WOW where does the time go?

-aaron

Posted to microsoft.public.access,microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.word.vba

wrote...
1) you have a table called N1 that has the numbers from 1 to 100
2) you have a table called N2 that has the numbers from 1 to 100

if you want to cartesian these two tables; to make every possible
combination; all you need to do is

SELECT N1.N AS N1, N2.N AS N2 FROM N1, N2

this will give you a nice little combination of every possible
combination for N1 and N2.

Which in your example gives 10000 combinations. There are only 9900
permutations of 100 distinct numbers, 9900 = 100 * 99 = 100! / 99! /
1!, or 100 choose 2. You could add a WHERE clause specifying that N1
not equal N2 to get all permutations of 2 items drawn from 100 items.

Very good. That's permutations of 2 items. How about complete
permutations, i.e., permutations of all 100 distinct numbers? That
get's messy using your approach. Do you generate the permutations
incrementally, requiring 99 different queries with the one above
converted into an INSERT query to generate a table named NT2, and the
permutations of 3 items given by

SELECT TN2.N1, TN2.N2, N1.N AS N3 FROM TN2, N1
WHERE ((TN2.N1 < N3) AND (TN2.N2 < N3))

Writing 99 queries in which all clauses keep growing isn't exactly
simple, but it'd work. It also isn't efficient. It's at least
O(N!*N^2). The generator formula approach I provided several months ago
is O((N+1)!*log(N)). And storagewise, I only need one cell for each
item in each of the permutations. Your approach (rather the one I've
extrapolated from your faulty 2 item beginning), even if intermediate
tables were deleted after each cartesian the final cartesian would use
TN99 to generate TN100, with TN99 having 99! records of 99 fields each
(9.24*10^157) and TN100 having 100! records of 100 fields each
(9.33*10^159).

Now all the computers in all the world at the current time couldn't
even generate all these permutations, so it's a moot point for N = 100.
FWIW, N = 12, TN11 would have a mere 439 million entries and TN12 just
5.75 billion. And it'd only take your approach 69 billion compares to
achieve it. My generator formulas would require only 6.7 billion
compares. OLAP may be good, but it's not good enough to offset that
differential.

Select Y.YYYY, M.MMM FROM tblYEAR Y, tblMONTH M

This would give you a nice little 'spreadsheet' of every combination of
years and months.

Kinda like having years listed in A2:A101 and months in B1:M1,
selecting B2:M101, typing the formula =$A2&" "&B$1, and pressing
[Ctrl]+[Enter]. Or just using nested For loops. Yes, this is an example
of what database do well (generating FULL cartesians). Generating
partial combinations, like permutations, takes more work (and fuller
understanding).

Posted to microsoft.public.access,microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.word.vba

i can cartesian up to a billion records without a performance problem
in the world.

with olap i can cartesian as much as you want... billions of physical
records with sub-second response times. without a problem.

Analysis Services 2000 solved every database performance problem the
world has ever known and you guys are still stuck in Excel

AS with SQL 2005 made things about 10 times more powerful; and you guys
aren't on that train.

-Aaron

Posted to microsoft.public.access,microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.word.vba

wrote...
i can cartesian up to a billion records without a performance problem
in the world.

Fine. Cartesian up a matrix inverse.

with olap i can cartesian as much as you want... billions of physical
records with sub-second response times. without a problem.

Only if OLAP just creates dynamic referencing objects, which it could.
But that wouldn't manipulate any data. My n = 12 case would involve 11
intermediate steps to generate all 12! permutations of 12 items, and
it'd require two orders of magnitude greater number of comparisons. No
way OLAP handles over 37 billion comparison operations with sub-second
response time. The software can't magically eliminate the
CPU-boundedness.

But if joins aren't necessary, I suppose 11 separate queries aren't
necessary. Should be syntactically possible to use

SELECT T1.N AS N1, T2.N AS N2, T3.N AS N3, T4.N AS N4, T5.N AS N5, T6.N
AS N6,
T7.N AS N7, T8.N AS N8, T9.N AS N9, T10.N AS N10, T11.N AS N11, T12.N
AS T12
FROM T T1, T T2, T T3, T T4, T T5, T T6, T T7, T T8, T T9, T T10, T
T11, T T12
WHERE ((N1<N2) AND (N1<N3) AND (N1<N4) AND (N1<N5) AND (N1<N6)
AND (N1<N7) AND (N1<N8) AND (N1<N9) AND (N1<N10) AND (N1<N11)
AND (N1<N12) AND (N2<N3) AND (N2<N4) AND (N2<N5) AND (N2<N6)
AND (N2<N7) AND (N2<N8) AND (N2<N9) AND (N2<N10) AND (N2<N11)
AND (N2<N12) AND (N3<N4) AND (N3<N5) AND (N3<N6) AND (N3<N7)
AND (N3<N8) AND (N3<N9) AND (N3<N10) AND (N3<N11) AND (N3<N12)
AND (N4<N5) AND (N4<N6) AND (N4<N7) AND (N4<N8) AND (N4<N9)
AND (N4<N10) AND (N4<N11) AND (N4<N12) AND (N5<N6) AND (N5<N7)
AND (N5<N8) AND (N5<N9) AND (N5<N10) AND (N5<N11) AND (N5<N12)
AND (N6<N7) AND (N6<N8) AND (N6<N9) AND (N6<N10) AND (N6<N11)
AND (N6<N12) AND (N7<N8) AND (N7<N9) AND (N7<N10) AND (N7<N11)
AND (N7<N12) AND (N8<N9) AND (N8<N10) AND (N8<N11) AND (N8<N12)
AND (N9<N10) AND (N9<N11) AND (N9<N12) AND (N10<N11) AND (N10<N12)
AND (N11<N12))

With T containing a single integer field with 12 records from 1 to 12,
see if this cartesian runs with sub-second response time.

Analysis Services 2000 solved every database performance problem the
world has ever known and you guys are still stuck in Excel

Sure it did.

AS with SQL 2005 made things about 10 times more powerful; and you guys
aren't on that train.

So it can invert matrices?

Posted to microsoft.public.access,microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.word.vba

Harlan Grove wrote...
But if joins aren't necessary, I suppose 11 separate queries aren't
necessary. Should be syntactically possible to use

SELECT T1.N AS N1, T2.N AS N2, T3.N AS N3, T4.N AS N4, T5.N AS N5, T6.N
AS N6,
T7.N AS N7, T8.N AS N8, T9.N AS N9, T10.N AS N10, T11.N AS N11, T12.N
AS T12
FROM T T1, T T2, T T3, T T4, T T5, T T6, T T7, T T8, T T9, T T10, T
T11, T T12
WHERE ((N1<N2) AND (N1<N3) AND (N1<N4) AND (N1<N5) AND (N1<N6)
AND (N1<N7) AND (N1<N8) AND (N1<N9) AND (N1<N10) AND (N1<N11)
ND (N1<N12) AND (N2<N3) AND (N2<N4) AND (N2<N5) AND (N2<N6)

Poor syntax in the WHERE clause. Me bad.

I just tried this out in Access. Given T with one field named N
containing long integers from 1 to 12, Access generated the
permutations of 6 items using the query

SELECT T1.N AS N1, T2.N AS N2, T3.N AS N3, T4.N AS N4, T5.N AS N5, T6.N
AS N6
FROM T AS T1, T AS T2, T AS T3, T AS T4, T AS T5, T AS T6
WHERE ((T1.N<T2.N) AND (T1.N<T3.N) AND (T1.N<T4.N) AND (T1.N<T5.N)
AND (T1.N<T6.N) AND (T2.N<T3.N) AND (T2.N<T4.N) AND (T2.N<T5.N)
AND (T2.N<T6.N) AND (T3.N<T4.N) AND (T3.N<T5.N) AND (T3.N<T6.N)
AND (T4.N<T5.N) AND (T4.N<T6.N) AND (T5.N<T6.N))
ORDER BY T1.N, T2.N, T3.N, T4.N, T5.N, T6.N;

*BUT* Access couldn't handle a similar query to generate the
permutations of 8 items using the query

SELECT T1.N AS N1, T2.N AS N2, T3.N AS N3, T4.N AS N4, T5.N AS N5, T6.N
AS N6,
T7.N AS N7, T8.N AS N8
FROM T AS T1, T AS T2, T AS T3, T AS T4, T AS T5, T AS T6, T T7, T T8
WHERE ((T1.N<T2.N) AND (T1.N<T3.N) AND (T1.N<T4.N) AND (T1.N<T5.N)
AND (T1.N<T6.N) AND (T1.N<T7.N) AND (T1.N<T8.N) AND (T2.N<T3.N)
AND (T2.N<T4.N) AND (T2.N<T5.N) AND (T2.N<T6.N) AND (T2.N<T7.N)
AND (T2.N<T8.N) AND (T3.N<T4.N) AND (T3.N<T5.N) AND (T3.N<T6.N)
AND (T3.N<T7.N) AND (T3.N<T8.N) AND (T4.N<T5.N) AND (T4.N<T6.N)
AND (T4.N<T7.N) AND (T4.N<T8.N) AND (T5.N<T6.N) AND (T5.N<T7.N)
AND (T5.N<T8.N) AND (T6.N<T7.N) AND (T6.N<T8.N) AND (T7.N<T8.N))
ORDER BY T1.N, T2.N, T3.N, T4.N, T5.N, T6.N, T7.N, T8.N;

It aborted with the message 'Not enough space on temporary disk.'

FWIW, Excel wouldn't have an easy time with that either since it'd
require 305 worksheets to hold all 20 million-odd permutations.

Posted to microsoft.public.access,microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.word.vba

SELECT T1.N AS N1, T2.N AS N2, T3.N AS N3, T4.N AS N4, T5.N AS N5, T6.N
AS N6,
T7.N AS N7, T8.N AS N8, T9.N AS N9, T10.N AS N10, T11.N AS N11, T12.N
AS T12
FROM T T1, T T2, T T3, T T4, T T5, T T6, T T7, T T8, T T9, T T10, T
T11, T T12
WHERE N1 NOT IN (T2.N, T3.N, T4.N, T5.N, T6.N); etc

that should be a little bit easier

and tempspace.. I dont ever use MDB for anything in the real world;
i use MSDE-- the freeware version of SQL Sever. That way; i dont have
to rewrite **** ever-- i just throw it on a real server when I need to
and I have a single language for DB stuff and a single language for
frontend stuff. MSDE and SQL Server to say the least; these dont have
the same problems as MDB.

and the best part? MS Access has the best sproc design tools in the
world.. i mean-- anywhere; and product.. and db product; and
professional level product.. ADP against MSDE is the most rich querying
environment anywhere. I mean-- it's all drag and drop.

No
way OLAP handles over 37 billion comparison operations with sub-second
response time. The software can't magically eliminate the
CPU-boundedness.

YES OH YES IT DOES KIDS
im sorry your stupid IT people chose cognos or any of those other piece
of **** apps
www.olapreport.com microsoft has by far the largest $$ of any vendor,
including oracle, ibm... MS _RULES_ the olap market. and olap is the
most important market in the world.

that is why i dont give a flying **** about IBM and Oracle they have
already become irrelevent.. I mean.. MS can do the same thing they can;
bigger and better and faster and cheaper

Posted to microsoft.public.access,microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.word.vba

ps - just for the record

http://www.sql-server-performance.com/wp_msas_9.asp

if olap -- analysis services has 12 dimensions with one level each; and
each level has 100 members-- it doesn't actually store ANYTHING
resembling 20m records.

OLAP is a generation past relational; it is multidimensional and it can
eat your 2-dimensional matrices for lunch

Posted to microsoft.public.access,microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.word.vba

wrote...
ps - just for the record

http://www.sql-server-performance.com/wp_msas_9.asp

if olap -- analysis services has 12 dimensions with one level each; and
each level has 100 members-- it doesn't actually store ANYTHING
resembling 20m records.

?

Difficult to see how the linked article is relevant to the point you're
making.

I'll accept that OLAP relations don't result in storing anything other
than a referencing object that can be used to calculate things similar
to ad hoc indexing.

Now the problem with generating permutations is that the goal *is*
generating the permutations, which means producing records *or*
performing calculations based on what the permutations migh be. So
you'd either need to produce a file containing all 12! (480 million)
permutations (each a 12 field record) or generate them on the fly each
time you need to perform calculations based on them. Counting the
number of permutations in which at least 6 adjacent fields are in
serial ascending order (e.g., 12 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 10 2 9 11) would take
much longer than a fraction of a second unless all calculations such as
these were precalculated and cached, which would eat terabytes of
storage.

OLAP is a generation past relational; it is multidimensional and it can
eat your 2-dimensional matrices for lunch

It just can't invert them?

It's a referencing scheme. It may be an outstanding referencing scheme.
It may even include some useful functions in MDX. But it's not a
replacement for all other extant calculation software.

Posted to microsoft.public.access,microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.word.vba

it's kinda in between.. doesn't really store them; it doesn't really
generate them on the fly.
kinda does both. and it's lighting fast.. i mean.. WOW

well technically; you can specify which percentage of aggregates to
store; and then you can store them in multiple formats; relationally or
in memory..

it's kinda crazy to think about relational - olap - relational
but it really really is a beautiful solution for some things. i mean..
the bottom line is that it's about 10 times more powerful than your
traditional, girly-man pivotTables.

it's kinda like what you do with offline cubes-- from excel generate
some client side cubes-- but it's a lot more hierarchial than that.. i
mean. .it gives Excel REAL drilldown.

i just think that it's insanity to claim that Excel is more powerful
than SQL. I mean-- TSQL is just plain faster and more powerful than
VBA. Any way you look at it.

Posted to microsoft.public.access,microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.word.vba

wrote...
i just think that it's insanity to claim that Excel is more powerful
than SQL. I mean-- TSQL is just plain faster and more powerful than
VBA. Any way you look at it.

But it's all referencing. It's not calculations unless they're cached,
in which case they took a lot of time to generate when the cube was
created, and it'd take a significant amount of time to regenerate if a
substantial portion of the cube changed.

Spreadsheets have a poor referencing scheme, but they handle the
calculations better aside from the standard aggregates cached in OLAP
cubes: COUNT, SUM, AVERAGE, MIN, MAX, etc. Nontrivial matrix
calculations, such as inverses and determinants (or
eigenvectors/eigenvalues) are ill suited to relational or
multidimensional referencing. There really are some operations in which
all you need for referencing is simple array indexing, and all the real
work is done in the calculations.

That's one key difference between OLAP and spreadsheets. OLAP is geared
towards data sets that retain most of their data but add to it over
time. Spreadsheets are geared towards using completely different data
sets (entries) from one calculation cycle to the next. Of course OLAP
would be quicker with old data, but generating a spreadsheet would
likely be a lot quicker than generating a new cube. They deal with very
different data domains, so it shouldn't be surprising that they differ
in form. You deal with predominantly static data. I don't. We deal with
different data, so we prefer different tools.

Posted to microsoft.public.access,microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.word.vba

wrote:
[...]

i mean...WOW

it's kinda like when someone asks you to do something and you don't
have a clue how to do it and you evade the question in the
non-responses.

i think its just insanity that people use Excel for tasks that it is
already designed to do. i mean ... seriously if you were going to type
a letter you would use Access. No girly man Word. Eck, gag me with a
spoon. You write the same letter every week. A database can do it a
lot faster. I can spam a million letters a day. Use a database kid.

Uh, I only have to write one letter.

go play in the sandbox. get real grow up and get away from that pen
and paper crap.

Aaron, any way you try to spin it, you are a clown. Stop going off on
tangents. Harlan's responses provide details and specifics in YOUR
CLAIMED AREA OF EXPERTISE while yours are just badly written idiotic
rants. You cannot respond intelligently at all.

Posted to microsoft.public.access,microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.word.vba

hahaha good stuff man

yeah; i didn't have time to look into it; but im not scared of your
'super-duper complex matrices'

i mean.. seriously here

spreadsheets are for babies

Posted to microsoft.public.access,microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.word.vba

wrote...
spreadsheets dont use DATA

databases use DATA.

spreadsheets use NUMBERS. copy and paste is obsolete, kid.

So numbers aren't data? Or data includes information other than
numbers? If the latter, you're not aware that spreadsheets can contain
text?

olap doesn't take 'a lot of time to generate'.

Not the impression I've gotten reading web pages, but I have no
first-hand experience.

offline cubes--- included with excel-- are some of the most exciting
things in the world.
i just claim that keeping your DATA in a DATABASE and using OLAP (and
PivotTables of course) allows us to automate you out of a job.

Aside from the small fact that pivot tables only perform simple
calculations. Until you show you know how to do anything other than
count and sum, why would anyone believe you know how to calculate
anything moderately complicated?

I just dont like having 100 copies of the same formula. I dont like
having 1000 copies of the same XLS. I mean-- it's not an efficient way
to do anything.

Apparently you also don't like trying to figure out how to calculate
the inverse or determinant of a matrix stored in a database. It's been
a few weeks, where's your code? Or do you just find it easier to rant &
rant & rant?

Posted to microsoft.public.access,microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.word.vba

pivotTables with a super-dooper backend can do better math faster than
you can

and again, for the record.. all math--- anywhere in the world-- breaks
down into simple operators
i mean.. SQL is more powerful than excel.. it can handle real-life
datasets.

it can index.

it can recover. you can back it up.

and you can make ONE report for 100 different customers instead of 100
spreadsheets for 100 different customers.

I mean-- it's all about the big picture of thigns; do you want to cut
and copy and paste all day every day, the same data again and again and
again?

i just have seen-- firsthand-- a hundred situations where people have
ugly ugly XLS infections; and the only thing to do is to throw it all
away and start from scratch.

with databases, you have a migration path-- you can grow a database
from Access to SQL.. or from Access or Oracle; or whatever you want to
do.

What do you do when you have an XLS that is too complex, heavy to fit
inside of Excel anymore??

YOU HAVE TO REWRITE IT FROM SCRATCH

-aaron

Posted to microsoft.public.access,microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.word.vba

wrote...
pivotTables with a super-dooper backend can do better math faster than
you can

OK, use a PivotTable to invert a matrix. Just show us the details.

There's a remote chance databases can perform arithmetic faster than
spreadsheets (unlikely though). However, if LIKE YOU some poor naive user
knows squat all about how to string arithmetic operations together to, say,
invert matrices, then wouldn't it be faster just to use Excel's MINVERSE
rather than spend weeks ranting and not performing? Of course that assumes
said poor naive user wants to do something useful UNLIKE YOU.

and again, for the record.. all math--- anywhere in the world-- breaks
down into simple operators

True. All it takes is knowing how to string those simple operations
together. Something you evidently DON'T know how to do.

i mean.. SQL is more powerful than excel.. it can handle real-life
datasets.

it can . . .

apparently do anything EXCEPT the matrix operations I've asked you to do. So
is SQL deficient or is Aaron deficient or both? The world may never know
about SQL, but in your case the answer is clear.

What do you do when you have an XLS that is too complex, heavy to fit
inside of Excel anymore??

YOU HAVE TO REWRITE IT FROM SCRATCH

Not necessarily. If it's doing a lot of data management, then it's time to
put the data management into a database. But it it's calculation-intensive,
databases aren't necessarily the way to go. SAS, S-Plus or R, maybe, or
MatLab.

Posted to microsoft.public.access,microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.word.vba

hahahahahhaha

you really are funny.. you know that?

you honestly think that poeple need to use Excel with PERL or SAS

you're a friggin crackhead harlan
matlab.. **** kid..

yeah.. you're right.. i mean.. databases can't possibly handle the hard
math; what in the hell was i thinking

shhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttttt harlan

spreadsheets are for babies and all you excel dorks should be drinking
wine out of a brown bag; living on the streets.

Posted to microsoft.public.access,microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.word.vba

wrote...
you honestly think that poeple need to use Excel with PERL or SAS

Where did I mention 'with'? Instead of Excel. In terms of calculations,
there's nothing Excel can do that complete stats packages can't do,
including arbitrary optimization like Solver (and, more simplistically,
IRR). Myself, I can live without SAS, but if I need to work on my
company's mainframe, SAS is unavoidable. But I could see using R for
calculation-intensive models that have outgrown Excel. Never used
MatLab, so I can't comment on it.

you're a friggin crackhead harlan
matlab.. **** kid..

Should have realized. Out-of-the-box Access can do anything MatLab can
do faster and more easily, but you just don't have the time to scrape
together any VBA code for Access to calculate, say, matrix inverses or
determinants.

yeah.. you're right.. i mean.. databases can't possibly handle the hard
math; what in the hell was i thinking

Databases that can access outside modules or DLLs maybe could handle
complicated math. Heck, all it'd take in Access would be instantiating
an Excel application instance and using its WorksheetFunction.MInverse
property.

On the other hand, you yourself are incapable. Using a metaphor, a 747
can travel from LA to NYC faster than a bike, but as you're too
clueless to get a 747 off the ground, a bike would be the better
vehicle for YOU. In other words, if YOU have no clue how to string
together the simple arithmetic operations needed, it doesn't really
matter how powerful and capable your database may be, YOU ain't getting
it to produce the required results.

More rants, no code. What we've come to expect from you.

Posted to microsoft.public.access,microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.word.vba

you're the one that's driving the bike kid

with one flat tire; and a limit range of 65535 feet.

lol

i just dont agree with you at all harlan. all of your super-duper
complex math is easily broken down into plus, sum-- those types of
functions.
and Access IS more extensible than Excel. That is the reason i live
and die by access.

I automate more for breakfast than you have in your whole life.

-Aaron

Posted to microsoft.public.access,microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.word.vba

wrote...
you're the one that's driving the bike kid

I'll take me driving the bike over you *SITTING* in the airplane with your
head up your ass clueless about what to do next so just shouting as loud as
possible.

i just dont agree with you at all harlan. all of your super-duper
complex math is easily broken down into plus, sum-- those types of
functions.

So show us how you'd use those simple operations to invert matrices.

It's simple for me because I know enough to use appropriate tools. It seems
to be impossible for you because the only thing you do on the rare instances
when you pull your head back out into the sunshine all you can do is rant.

Posted to microsoft.public.access,microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.word.vba

uh.. id just make a matrix and invert it

select 1/@myvalue

lol

i just think that it's hilariuous.. you seriously have this idea that
your math is 'too complex for a database'

you're not arguging that it's too complex for access.. you're not
arguging that it's too complex for SQL.. you're not arguing that the
math that you 'DO'-- by remembering the NAME of a function (ROFL) is
too complex

****.. what do you eat for breakfast, a bull**** sandwich??

Posted to microsoft.public.access,microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.word.vba

wrote...
uh.. id just make a matrix and invert it

select 1/@myvalue

Brilliant! Aaron can invert 1x1 matrices!

How about the 4x4 matrix I posed a few weeks ago?

i just think that it's hilariuous.. you seriously have this idea that
your math is 'too complex for a database'

Too complex for (rather, ill suited to) SQL queries, yes.

And evidently way too hard for you.

Posted to microsoft.public.access,microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.word.vba

You'll appreciate this. Your worst nightmare about to come true.

http://blogs.msdn.com/excel/archive/....aspx#comments

Posted to microsoft.public.access,microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.word.vba

technically; it means that excel is entering the 20th century-- as in
this puts this in about the same league as access was in 1900.

access can spit **** out to a webpage in about 100 different ways. I
mean-- it's all about being able to consume your data in other apps
keeping it from excel to sharepoint to sharepoint to excel-- what's the
frigging point kids

keep your data in a database; you can CONSUME your data in 100
different places