Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Select text from a field

Hi all,
This group has been very helpful to me and Thank you for your help and quick
respond.

I don't think this is duable, but since I do not have programming
experience, I thought asking you.

I have a sheet that has 5000 records. User has to fill out column B with
the correct name, based on a column A I provided. E.g. Col A
HOUSE OF EUROPE
FUNDING IV PLC
In col B he has to fix this name and enter: FUNDING IV PLC
He didn't do so . Instead he highlighted BOLD in col A "FUNDING IV PLC" and
said use in col B highlighted name.
Question: Is there any way for me to say update Col B with part of the name
that is Bold on col. A? Otherwise I have to do this manually for 500 rec.

Thanks a lot

--
Bob
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi,
The following macro looks at each cell in the selected range and copy the
non-bold text to the next cell on its right. Eg -- To process A1:A10
- make sure there is no data in B1:B10 (it will be the output), else insert
a column
- select A1:A10
- run the macro
-- the output is sent to B1:B10 so you can review and make sure it is what
you want before deleting cells in A

'-----------------------------------------------------------------
Sub RemoveBoldText()
Dim RgSource As Range, cell As Range
Dim cellTxt As String, c As Characters, txtOut As String
Dim cellLen As Long, i As Long

Set RgSource = Selection

Application.ScreenUpdating = False
For Each cell In RgSource.Cells
txtOut = ""
cellLen = cell.Characters.Count
For i = 1 To cellLen
If cell.Characters(i, 1).Font.Bold = False Then
txtOut = txtOut & cell.Characters(i, 1).Text
End If
Next
cell.Offset(0, 1) = txtOut
Next

End Sub
'------------------------------------------------------------

Sébastien
<http://www.ondemandanalysis.com

"Bob" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I don't think my previous post went through so here goes again. With the
following in cell a21 (bold doesn't show.):
Now is the time for all good men.
time for all good men. is bold
wrote the following sub and in immediate pane, debug.prints output was:
time for all good men.
So, your objective appears doable.

Sub testthis()
Dim ws As Worksheet
Dim test As String
Dim NewVal As String
Dim i As Integer, L As Integer
Set ws = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("sheet1")
NewVal = ""
test = ws.Range("a21").Value
With ws.Range("a21")
L = Len(test)
For i = 1 To L
' If Mid(test, i, 1).Font.Bold = True Then
If .Characters(i, 1).Font.Bold = True Then
NewVal = NewVal + Mid(test, i, 1)
End If
Next i
End With
Debug.Print NewVal
End Sub

"Bob" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Bob,

Try this function:

Function getboldtext(sz_cell As String)
Dim i As Long
Dim s As String
s = ""
For i = 1 To Len(Range(sz_cell))
If Range(sz_cell).Characters(i, 1).Font.Bold = True Then
s = s & Range(sz_cell).Characters(i, 1).Text
End If
Next i
getboldtext = s
End Function

and put in column b =getboldtext("A1")

"Bob" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

after re-readigg, seems like you wanted the bold portion , not the non-bold
part. If so, chnage the False in
If cell.Characters(i, 1).Font.Bold = False Then
to True