Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
juliet

Default Changing a text field to a date field

Hi I know this is a problem for lots of people but I still cant find an
answer. I have imported a text file into excel with a number field that
displays credit card expiry dates as a 4 digit number. example 0408 so month
+ year. I have converted the number field to a text field so it doesnt drop
off the first zero and now I need to convert it to a date field. Any nice
easy simple ideas. Any help would be much appreaciated. Or direction to a
question the same.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
daddylonglegs

Perhaps

=DATE(100+RIGHT(A1,2),LEFT(A1,2),1)

format as date

--
daddylonglegs
daddylonglegs's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30486

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
CLR

Using a helper column.....

=LEFT(A1,2)&"/"&RIGHT(A1,2)&"/"&2006

or you can leave off the year, as....

=LEFT(A4,2)&"/"&RIGHT(A4,2)

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"juliet" wrote in message
Hi I know this is a problem for lots of people but I still cant find an
answer. I have imported a text file into excel with a number field that
displays credit card expiry dates as a 4 digit number. example 0408 so

month
+ year. I have converted the number field to a text field so it doesnt

drop
off the first zero and now I need to convert it to a date field. Any nice
easy simple ideas. Any help would be much appreaciated. Or direction to a
question the same.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
gls858

juliet wrote:
Hi I know this is a problem for lots of people but I still cant find an
answer. I have imported a text file into excel with a number field that
displays credit card expiry dates as a 4 digit number. example 0408 so month
+ year. I have converted the number field to a text field so it doesnt drop
off the first zero and now I need to convert it to a date field. Any nice
easy simple ideas. Any help would be much appreaciated. Or direction to a
question the same.

While it looks like you have a solution I would point out that an
Excel spreadsheet is a very insecure place to store credit card
numbers. Especially if you are storing them WITH the expiration date.
Numbers should only be stored encrypted and then only if absolutely
necessary.

Here's just one link demonstrating the issues. Also you may want to
check with the card companies themselves (Visa, Mastercard, Amex)as
to what they require to comply with their requirements to store the
numbers.

All in all storing credit card info should not be taken lightly. If
a security breech occurs it can have serious implications.

gls858
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
gls858

gls858 wrote:
[...]