Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Trying to get a form to set a style

The boss is forever telling me how wonderful my computer skills are.
This is so she doesn't have to hire--and pay--people who actuall
*know* what they're doing. Sigh.

I am trying to create a subroutine in which a button, when clicked
will move to a cell, set its style to a previously defined style othe
than its current one (called Chaku), and return to the original activ
cell. I originally tried to get it to just change the style withou
moving the active cell (using Offset within the Range parameter), but
got a subscript-out-of-range error.

Anyway, the line it's choking on is:

Worksheets("PaymentSheet").Range(ActiveCell).Style .Name
"Chaku"

I've also tried it with quotes around "Active Cell," but in both case
I get an application- or user-defined error. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

--
cheaperThanAPr
cheaperThanAPro's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=2824

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

ctap,
Try...
ActiveCell.Style = "Chaku"
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"cheaperThanAPro" wrote...

The boss is forever telling me how wonderful my computer skills are.
This is so she doesn't have to hire--and pay--people who actually
*know* what they're doing. Sigh.
I am trying to create a subroutine in which a button, when clicked,
will move to a cell, set its style to a previously defined style other
than its current one (called Chaku), and return to the original active
cell. I originally tried to get it to just change the style without
moving the active cell (using Offset within the Range parameter), but I
got a subscript-out-of-range error.
Anyway, the line it's choking on is:
Worksheets("PaymentSheet").Range(ActiveCell).Style .Name =
"Chaku"
I've also tried it with quotes around "Active Cell," but in both cases
I get an application- or user-defined error. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks!
cheaperThanAPro

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Wow, when all else fails, try what I would make the command. ^_^

Thanks so much, Jim! Don't suppose you also know how to get it to tab
through the fields of the form when my users use it, do you? All I can
find is instructions for setting how they tab in the VBA editor, about
which I don't care in the least.

Thanks again!

ctap

--
cheaperThanAPro
cheaperThanAPro's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28241

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

ctap,
One way is to unlock the cells you want to tab into.
Then protect the worksheet.

Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"cheaperThanAPro" wrote...
Wow, when all else fails, try what I would make the command. ^_^
Thanks so much, Jim! Don't suppose you also know how to get it to tab
through the fields of the form when my users use it, do you? All I can
find is instructions for setting how they tab in the VBA editor, about
which I don't care in the least.
Thanks again!

ctap

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The problem is tabbing through a UserForm. I've got the Tab order set.
I've checked the Enabled, Locked, and TabKeyBehavior properties. For
some reason, when I load the form, the cursor is in the first text box,
where it should be, but when I hit the tab, it skips over the following
seven items, appears in the eighth, and will not be budged from there.

--
cheaperThanAPro
cheaperThanAPro's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28241
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=477951

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

ctap,
Ok, so now we are talking about a "UserForm"...
Check the "TabStop" property for each textbox.
Should be set to True.
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"cheaperThanAPro" wrote
The problem is tabbing through a UserForm. I've got the Tab order set.
I've checked the Enabled, Locked, and TabKeyBehavior properties. For
some reason, when I load the form, the cursor is in the first text box,
where it should be, but when I hit the tab, it skips over the following
seven items, appears in the eighth, and will not be budged from there.
--
cheaperThanAPro

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Yup, it is and has been, for all the items between the two that i
actually stops at. Nonetheless, the tab doesn't stop in any of them

--
cheaperThanAPr
cheaperThanAPro's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=2824
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=47795

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

ctap,

I don't have an answer to that. They must be out to get you. <g
I would be tempted to replace the existing form with a new one.
What happens if in a new workbook, you add a form and several
textboxes? Can you tab between the boxes?

Jim Cone

"cheaperThanAPro"wrote
Yup, it is and has been, for all the items between the two that it
actually stops at. Nonetheless, the tab doesn't stop in any of them.
--
cheaperThanAPro

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The cursor sits determinedly in the boxes there, too.

At least that means that I don't have to start the blasted form ove
from scratch! Not yet anyway.

The only thing I can think of that is usual about my set-up is that
am using the English Excel for Mac 2004 set as a Japanese applicatio
(using Microsoft's Language Register) so I can edit text in it. (Th
company I work for is American, but many of the staff people ar
Japanese, and the form I'm making is in fact for them.) I don't se
how that should make it different, though. You tab through forms i
Japan, too

--
cheaperThanAPr
cheaperThanAPro's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=2824
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=47795

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

ctap,

I would give it another day to see if anybody else will contribute
some insight. If not then you would want to post again including
all of the particulars.
I checked and there is a microsoft.public.excel.macintosh forum.
A recent announcement there from MS says the group is now at...
microsoft.public.mac.office.excel
I would give that a go.

Regards,
Jim Cone

"cheaperThanAPro" wrote
The cursor sits determinedly in the boxes there, too.
At least that means that I don't have to start the blasted form over
from scratch! Not yet anyway.

The only thing I can think of that is usual about my set-up is that I
am using the English Excel for Mac 2004 set as a Japanese application
(using Microsoft's Language Register) so I can edit text in it. (The
company I work for is American, but many of the staff people are
Japanese, and the form I'm making is in fact for them.) I don't see
how that should make it different, though. You tab through forms in
Japan, too.
cheaperThanAPro

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I've posted at the Microsoft Usenet group. Hopefully someone here or
there will know what's going on.

Thanks for all your help!

ctap

--
cheaperThanAPro
cheaperThanAPro's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28241
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=477951

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Although the TabKeyBehavior property is set to False for all the tex
boxes, the form is nonetheless behaving as if it were True. My onl
guess is that VB doesn't see the tab in a Japanese font as the sam
thing as the English one. If true, this is completely daft! Exce
itself understands both as the same

--
cheaperThanAPr
cheaperThanAPro's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=2824
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=47795

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Well, it turns out that not tabbing through UserForms on the Mac is
known bug, and one that Microsoft is in no hurry to fix. Argh. I lov
my Mac, but *I* understand if someone likes PCs. I refuse to us
Mac-only applications (well, except for Entourage because Microsof
makes Outlook for the same purpose); I think folks should not develo
for only one platform.

Sigh. Still doesn't explain the font-sizing problem, though. O
course, that's not so dire. It looks strange on the form, but th
worksheet looks fine when the inputting is done.

cta

--
cheaperThanAPr
cheaperThanAPro's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=2824
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=47795

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

ctap,
Appreciate you posting back with your results.
Finding or providing answers is why most of us are here.
Regards,
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"cheaperThanAPro" wrote...
Well, it turns out that not tabbing through UserForms on the Mac is a
known bug, and one that Microsoft is in no hurry to fix. Argh. I love
my Mac, but *I* understand if someone likes PCs. I refuse to use
Mac-only applications (well, except for Entourage because Microsoft
makes Outlook for the same purpose); I think folks should not develop
for only one platform.

Sigh. Still doesn't explain the font-sizing problem, though. Of
course, that's not so dire. It looks strange on the form, but the