Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default RTD server performance

Hi Grp,

I have to excel sheets which has 10 cells each. and I have to develop a
RTDServer using vb.net. Now I am assigning all my cells wich the RTDServer
formula which I is to be developed. Now can anybody suggest me will this
RTDServer face performance issue due to coninuous updates for 20 cells?

Thanks,
Deepak

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Without knowing exactly what you are doing it's not possible to answer, but I
run an RTD server which is linked to 8000 cells in a worksheet and it works
ok, so I would not worry about 20 cells.

The push/pull mechanism in the RTD server means that excel does not get
flooded - it's an elegant architecture.

Check out the MSDN site for some examples of RTD server code / setup and
bestr practice.

--
www.alignment-systems.com

"B Deepak" wrote:

Hi Grp,

I have to excel sheets which has 10 cells each. and I have to develop a
RTDServer using vb.net. Now I am assigning all my cells wich the RTDServer
formula which I is to be developed. Now can anybody suggest me will this
RTDServer face performance issue due to coninuous updates for 20 cells?

Thanks,
Deepak

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for a quick reply.

I have a java program which will continuosly send data over TCP channel. And
our RTD server receives the data from same TCP channel. And will process the
data and then sends the notification to the excel about the updates. And
then excel sheet invokes update method to update with new values.
I have two tables which needs to be updated. So will it create performance
problem?
Now, I think u r preety confortable with what I want to do?

Thanks n Regards,
Deepak

"B Deepak" wrote:

Hi Grp,

I have to excel sheets which has 10 cells each. and I have to develop a
RTDServer using vb.net. Now I am assigning all my cells wich the
RTDServer
formula which I is to be developed. Now can anybody suggest me will this
RTDServer face performance issue due to coninuous updates for 20 cells?

Thanks,
Deepak

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Deepak,

Provided all the code is written well it doesn't sound like there will be
any problems at the Excel end. For the excel part the RTD is almost self
managing in that excel will only ask for updates when it's available.

You should think about how you want to get updates into excel - if the
server is being throttled do you want to send a complete list of all updates
for one cell into Excel or just send the latest? Sending a complete list of
updates can be problematic if you have lots of cell dependencies. If excel
is just acting as a pure presentation layer then there should be no problems,
but sending lots of updates when there are lots of dependent cells will slow
excel.

--
www.alignment-systems.com

"B Deepak" wrote:

Hi Grp,

I have to excel sheets which has 10 cells each. and I have to develop a
RTDServer using vb.net. Now I am assigning all my cells wich the
RTDServer
formula which I is to be developed. Now can anybody suggest me will this
RTDServer face performance issue due to coninuous updates for 20 cells?

Thanks,
Deepak

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

And I have to apply the same formulae over all the cells. Will it affect
performance?
Are you doin the same stuff which I am trying to do?
Have u applied the same formula for 8000 cells?

Thanks,
Deepak

"B Deepak" wrote:

Hi Grp,

I have to excel sheets which has 10 cells each. and I have to develop a
RTDServer using vb.net. Now I am assigning all my cells wich the
RTDServer
formula which I is to be developed. Now can anybody suggest me will this
RTDServer face performance issue due to coninuous updates for 20 cells?

Thanks,
Deepak

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"And I have to apply the same formulae over all the cells. Will it affect
performance?"
I don't know what the formula is, so I cannot answer that.

What I am telling you is this - 20 cells, in a normal workbook, with normal
formulae will be ok. Since I cannot see your code and don't have the time to
review it anyway, all I can tell you is what I know based on 3 years
experience with using RTD servers.

As I have said below, I have a spreadsheet pulling 8000 data items using
8000 =RTD(...) equations from an RTD server and it works fine. The RTD takes
data from a TCP socket and formats it for excel and lets excel grab the data
using =rtd(....)

So, 20 cells is not going to cause a scale issue if you write the RTD server
properly.

Good luck.

--
www.alignment-systems.com

"B Deepak" wrote:

Hi Grp,

I have to excel sheets which has 10 cells each. and I have to develop a
RTDServer using vb.net. Now I am assigning all my cells wich the
RTDServer
formula which I is to be developed. Now can anybody suggest me will this
RTDServer face performance issue due to coninuous updates for 20 cells?

Thanks,
Deepak

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi John,

We r doin the same stuff which u d talked abt.
We r taking data frm TCP Client, process it n update it into the excel
sheet. Now I ve not doubts about the performance issue, so ll ping u if any
probelms.

Thanks a lot,

"B Deepak" wrote:

Hi Grp,

I have to excel sheets which has 10 cells each. and I have to develop
RTDServer using vb.net. Now I am assigning all my cells wich the
RTDServer
formula which I is to be developed. Now can anybody suggest me will
this
RTDServer face performance issue due to coninuous updates for 20
cells?

Thanks,
Deepak

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hey John,

Can I use C# as a development lang. for RTDServer?
Because as of my knowledge, we can not build com dll using c#. So do I need
to continue with VB?
Which language d u used?

"B Deepak" wrote:

Hi Grp,

I have to excel sheets which has 10 cells each. and I have to develop a
RTDServer using vb.net. Now I am assigning all my cells wich the
RTDServer
formula which I is to be developed. Now can anybody suggest me will this
RTDServer face performance issue due to coninuous updates for 20 cells?

Thanks,
Deepak

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Yes you can use c#. Create the server and then create an interop layer.
That works.

--
www.alignment-systems.com

"B Deepak" wrote:

Hi Grp,

I have to excel sheets which has 10 cells each. and I have to develop a
RTDServer using vb.net. Now I am assigning all my cells wich the
RTDServer
formula which I is to be developed. Now can anybody suggest me will this
RTDServer face performance issue due to coninuous updates for 20 cells?

Thanks,
Deepak

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi John,

Thanks for ur help. Currently I am working on how to update excel region(
say excel table with 2 rows and 3 columns). And it is doable through array.
For this I have to get TCP stream and convert it into string with each
culumn seperated by comma(,) and each row is seperated by (;).This is all
about parsing. After parsing get done, this string will be passed to the
excel ****. Now the job of the excel evaluate function to parse the string
and convert it into array. And this array will then
get populated into the excel region. All the above stuff is mentioned in the
belowed link...
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;286258.

If we consider the performance, I have to remove parsing mechanism frm my
RTDServer. I mean we have to get a TCPStream and then convert it into array
which will then submitted to Excel. Now the job of the excel is to invoke
refreshdata funcion and update the region.
Is there any standart function of excel sheet like Evaluate which will take
input as array and ll display output into the specified region of an excel
sheet?
Can u plse help in doin this stuff?

Thanks n Regards,
Deepak

"B Deepak" wrote in message
Hi Grp,

I have to excel sheets which has 10 cells each. and I have to develop a
RTDServer using vb.net. Now I am assigning all my cells wich the RTDServer
formula which I is to be developed. Now can anybody suggest me will this
RTDServer face performance issue due to coninuous updates for 20 cells?

Thanks,
Deepak

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi John,

As mentioned in the previous post, Evaluate function takes array as a string
with column seperated by commas and rows seperated by semicolomn. Is there
any other function like Evaluate which will take input as array and ll
display that array into excel sheet region( say 2 * 3 table)?

Thanks,
Deepak