Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
jim jim is offline

Default Bad performance

Hi NG

I have made a program in Excel using VB for Excel. The program is for a
Multi user invironment, so it is with a shared access.

When I open it on my personal computer it opens within about 20 seconds, but
When I open it on the network it takes about 2 minuttes, which is way to
long.

Now I have got 2 problems which i need an answer for.

1) Does anyone know what I can do to get it to open quicker.

2) I would like to convert the file into a file in which the user can't see
the code - I don't know how or if you can do that in Excel, but in Access
you can convert an Access Database to a MDE file - is it possible to do
something like that in Excel as well?

Thanks in Advance
Jim

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

1) Does anyone know what I can do to get it to open quicker.
You are probably going to bite the bullet on this one. Network access time,
number of users with the file open, and file size are all things that effect
file time to open.

2) I would like to convert the file into a file in which the user can't see
the code

In the VBEditor, right-click the VBProject and select Properties. In there
you can password protect your code from being viewed. A user can see your
project name in the tree, but when they click the + to expand the tree they
get the password dialog box.

Mike F

"jim" wrote in message
Hi NG

I have made a program in Excel using VB for Excel. The program is for a
Multi user invironment, so it is with a shared access.

When I open it on my personal computer it opens within about 20 seconds,
but
When I open it on the network it takes about 2 minuttes, which is way to
long.

Now I have got 2 problems which i need an answer for.

1) Does anyone know what I can do to get it to open quicker.

2) I would like to convert the file into a file in which the user can't
see
the code - I don't know how or if you can do that in Excel, but in Access
you can convert an Access Database to a MDE file - is it possible to do
something like that in Excel as well?

Thanks in Advance
Jim

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
jim jim is offline

Hi Mike
Thanks for your answer.

concerning the answer for opening the file quicker. My size of my file is
actually not very huge - only about 700 kb, and the time to open the file is
when there is no other users how has the file open. Therefore I find it very
strange. Also when I try to open the file and it is not a shared workbook,
then it opens much quicker on the network.

Jim