Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default look up for values in the cells

Hi, I have a program and I want my user be able to look up a famyli name
instead of the whole name, I mean:
A B
Vazques Mota Frnacisco 1
Barrios Medina Alejandro 2
Concepción Báustegui Antonio 3
Andres Gustamante Berenice 4
Medina Arroyos Fernando 5
................ ...
1. I want that the user put Vazques and returns the number 1 value
2. I think this question is a difficult one, but ¿What about if the user
made a mistake and instead of Vazques he puts Vasques, There could be somehow
the computer find the name???
TIA
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

GoTo www.J_Walk.com (Hi John!)

first look at the text parsing stuff to select the last name from a
first/last combo
( buy puptools, plug, plug)

then look at his soundex excel download as a way to
work around name recognition and misspellings it's really impressive and cool

Oh, and Vlookup cures the boring part

"filo666" wrote:

Hi, I have a program and I want my user be able to look up a famyli name
instead of the whole name, I mean:
A B
Vazques Mota Frnacisco 1
Barrios Medina Alejandro 2
Concepción Báustegui Antonio 3
Andres Gustamante Berenice 4
Medina Arroyos Fernando 5
............... ...
1. I want that the user put Vazques and returns the number 1 value
2. I think this question is a difficult one, but ¿What about if the user
made a mistake and instead of Vazques he puts Vasques, There could be somehow
the computer find the name???
TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

My bad:

http://j-walk.com/

I have icon so missed the http

"filo666" wrote:

Hi, I have a program and I want my user be able to look up a famyli name
instead of the whole name, I mean:
A B
Vazques Mota Frnacisco 1
Barrios Medina Alejandro 2
Concepción Báustegui Antonio 3
Andres Gustamante Berenice 4
Medina Arroyos Fernando 5
............... ...
1. I want that the user put Vazques and returns the number 1 value
2. I think this question is a difficult one, but ¿What about if the user
made a mistake and instead of Vazques he puts Vasques, There could be somehow
the computer find the name???
TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Specific answer was in his book but this link will give you teh approach
look for first space, look for additional spaces
return string following the first or last space

Problem with "von Gristf" type last names

http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/usertips/tip079.htm