Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Indirect reference and worksheets with single quote in the name

I can't seem to use the indirect function to lookup data in another sheet if
the sheet name contains a single quote.

Sheet1 - I have in cell A1: Sheet2!A1
In cell A2 I have: =INDIRECT(A1)

If I change the name of Sheet2 to Int'l and change the contents of A1 to
Int'l!A1

then it no longer works.

What can you do when the sheet name has a single quote? I am going to be
referencing data from a web site and I want the names of the sheets to be
able to be referenced just by the name of the data. I have no control over
this data and so it will have the ' in it.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Try this in A1:

''Int''l'!A1

Maybe a good reason to avoid apostrophes in the worksheet names!

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Indirect reference and worksheets with single quote in the nam

That did not seem to work. Did you get that to work?

And yes, if it were up to me, I would not use the ' in a sheet name. I want
to have a link to a table in a web site so I can automatically update my
data. The name they are using has Int'l in the name. I need to look-up
information on my worksheet for the Name Int'l

I suppose I could go another level and have an indirect reference to a sheet
after a table look-up on the name

ted_thompson61 wrote:

I can't seem to use the indirect function to lookup data in another sheet if
the sheet name contains a single quote.

Sheet1 - I have in cell A1: Sheet2!A1
In cell A2 I have: =INDIRECT(A1)

If I change the name of Sheet2 to Int'l and change the contents of A1 to
Int'l!A1

then it no longer works.

What can you do when the sheet name has a single quote? I am going to be
referencing data from a web site and I want the names of the sheets to be
able to be referenced just by the name of the data. I have no control over
this data and so it will have the ' in it.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

How about putting this in A1:

="'int''l'!a1"
(that worked, too.)

That first apostrophe is used by excel to force it to treat the value as text.

If you look at the value in the cell--not in the formula bar, then you should
only see one apostrophe at the far left.

ted_thompson61 wrote:

I can't seem to use the indirect function to lookup data in another sheet if
the sheet name contains a single quote.

Sheet1 - I have in cell A1: Sheet2!A1
In cell A2 I have: =INDIRECT(A1)

If I change the name of Sheet2 to Int'l and change the contents of A1 to
Int'l!A1

then it no longer works.

What can you do when the sheet name has a single quote? I am going to be
referencing data from a web site and I want the names of the sheets to be
able to be referenced just by the name of the data. I have no control over
this data and so it will have the ' in it.

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Yes, I finally got it to work by putting 2 single quotes where it looked like
there was a double quote and that worked, BUT

If I have the following text in cell A1:ABC Int'l

How can I build a string that will reference the sheet named ABC Int'l?

(This is the lone troublesome case that I have, all the rest of the sheets
have one or two names and no special characters that cause problems.)

I can get it to work like you said by building the string manually in a cell
and using '' where the ' is in Int'l, but can't seem to do it automatically
from a cell containing the sheet name.

Thanks for all the good help!

--Ted

ted_thompson61 wrote:

I can't seem to use the indirect function to lookup data in another sheet if
the sheet name contains a single quote.

Sheet1 - I have in cell A1: Sheet2!A1
In cell A2 I have: =INDIRECT(A1)

If I change the name of Sheet2 to Int'l and change the contents of A1 to
Int'l!A1

then it no longer works.

What can you do when the sheet name has a single quote? I am going to be
referencing data from a web site and I want the names of the sheets to be
able to be referenced just by the name of the data. I have no control over
this data and so it will have the ' in it.

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Just to be clear the final result should be something like this.

A1:ABC Int'l

A2:=INDIRECT(A1&"!B2")

Something like this should look up the value in cell B2 on Sheet ABC Int'l.

The formula should also work for other names in cell A1 like: ABC or ABC 123.

ted_thompson61 wrote:

I can't seem to use the indirect function to lookup data in another sheet if
the sheet name contains a single quote.

Sheet1 - I have in cell A1: Sheet2!A1
In cell A2 I have: =INDIRECT(A1)

If I change the name of Sheet2 to Int'l and change the contents of A1 to
Int'l!A1

then it no longer works.

What can you do when the sheet name has a single quote? I am going to be
referencing data from a web site and I want the names of the sheets to be
able to be referenced just by the name of the data. I have no control over
this data and so it will have the ' in it.

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Try the following:
=INDIRECT("'"&SUBSTITUTE(A1,"'","''")&"'!B1")

pay very close attention to the single and double quote marks.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"ted_thompson61" wrote
in message

ted_thompson61 wrote:

I can't seem to use the indirect function to lookup
data in another sheet if
the sheet name contains a single quote.

Sheet1 - I have in cell A1: Sheet2!A1
In cell A2 I have: =INDIRECT(A1)

If I change the name of Sheet2 to Int'l and change the
contents of A1 to
Int'l!A1

then it no longer works.

What can you do when the sheet name has a single
quote? I am going to be
referencing data from a web site and I want the names
of the sheets to be
able to be referenced just by the name of the data. I
have no control over
this data and so it will have the ' in it.

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

A2:=INDIRECT("'"&SUBSTITUTE(A1,"'","''")&"'!B2")

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services