Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default Indirect reference and worksheets with single quote in the nam

How about putting this in A1:

="'int''l'!a1"
(that worked, too.)

That first apostrophe is used by excel to force it to treat the value as text.

If you look at the value in the cell--not in the formula bar, then you should
only see one apostrophe at the far left.

ted_thompson61 wrote:

That did not seem to work. Did you get that to work?

And yes, if it were up to me, I would not use the ' in a sheet name. I want
to have a link to a table in a web site so I can automatically update my
data. The name they are using has Int'l in the name. I need to look-up
information on my worksheet for the Name Int'l

I suppose I could go another level and have an indirect reference to a sheet
after a table look-up on the name

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Try this in A1:

''Int''l'!A1

Maybe a good reason to avoid apostrophes in the worksheet names!

ted_thompson61 wrote:

I can't seem to use the indirect function to lookup data in another sheet if
the sheet name contains a single quote.

Sheet1 - I have in cell A1: Sheet2!A1
In cell A2 I have: =INDIRECT(A1)

If I change the name of Sheet2 to Int'l and change the contents of A1 to
Int'l!A1

then it no longer works.

What can you do when the sheet name has a single quote? I am going to be
referencing data from a web site and I want the names of the sheets to be
able to be referenced just by the name of the data. I have no control over
this data and so it will have the ' in it.

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson