Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
ted_thompson61 ted_thompson61 is offline

Default Indirect reference and worksheets with single quote in the nam

That did not seem to work. Did you get that to work?

And yes, if it were up to me, I would not use the ' in a sheet name. I want
to have a link to a table in a web site so I can automatically update my
data. The name they are using has Int'l in the name. I need to look-up
information on my worksheet for the Name Int'l

I suppose I could go another level and have an indirect reference to a sheet
after a table look-up on the name

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Try this in A1:

''Int''l'!A1

Maybe a good reason to avoid apostrophes in the worksheet names!

ted_thompson61 wrote:

I can't seem to use the indirect function to lookup data in another sheet if
the sheet name contains a single quote.

Sheet1 - I have in cell A1: Sheet2!A1
In cell A2 I have: =INDIRECT(A1)

If I change the name of Sheet2 to Int'l and change the contents of A1 to
Int'l!A1

then it no longer works.

What can you do when the sheet name has a single quote? I am going to be
referencing data from a web site and I want the names of the sheets to be
able to be referenced just by the name of the data. I have no control over
this data and so it will have the ' in it.

--

Dave Peterson