Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default ActiveX button on sheet too big

I am using Office 2003 on Win XP.

When I draw an ActiveX button (i.e. from the "Control Toolbox") on a sheet,
you can't read the text on the button (its caption) unless I make the button
twice as big as I want it (even though the font size is set to 8 points).

I can't seem to find any way to tighten up the borders or gutter space
around the text. Does anyone know how to adjust or compensate for this?

Thanks much in advance...
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Don't know a WinAPI solution but there might be one!

You can try setting its BackStyle property to fmBackStyleTransparent,
clearing its caption, and drawing a label behind it with the text you want.
You also may need to set the button's TakeFocusOnClick property to False.

"quartz" wrote in message
I am using Office 2003 on Win XP.

When I draw an ActiveX button (i.e. from the "Control Toolbox") on a
sheet,
you can't read the text on the button (its caption) unless I make the
button
twice as big as I want it (even though the font size is set to 8 points).

I can't seem to find any way to tighten up the borders or gutter space
around the text. Does anyone know how to adjust or compensate for this?

Thanks much in advance...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

It's not that the font doesn't scale - it's that the button still needs to be
big in spite of the smaller font size. I set the font down to 8 points to see
if I could make the button smaller and still read the caption, but of course
that failed.

How can I get around that? If you use a button on the "Forms" toolbar you
can make the button real small and still read the caption, but I need an AX
control for certain functionality.

Thanks for your input.

"quartz" wrote in message
I am using Office 2003 on Win XP.

When I draw an ActiveX button (i.e. from the "Control Toolbox") on a

sheet,
you can't read the text on the button (its caption) unless I make the

button
twice as big as I want it (even though the font size is set to 8 points).

I can't seem to find any way to tighten up the borders or gutter space
around the text. Does anyone know how to adjust or compensate for this?

Thanks much in advance...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Set wordwrap to True. You can make the font smaller than 8 by typing in the
size in the same place where you would select it from the list.

Still isn't great, but it might get you what you want.
Tom Ogilvy