Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Excel doesn't have enough rows

Excel doewn't have enough rows to import a text file with 700,000 records.
Is there a way to detect this with say a macro, open the file with the open
wizard (to parse the .txt into cells), put 50,000 parsed records in the first
tab. open up another tab and name it, put the next 50,000 parsed records in
the tab and name it, etc. until enough tabs are opened, named, and parsed to
hold 700,000 records? Or am I asking for the sky?
thanks,
david
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

What you are asking for is do-able but possilby not worth doing. At 700,000
records you are going to have disturbingly poor performance with anything you
try to do. Depending what version of Excel you are using you may also run out
of usable memorey and crash Excel. Is it possible to load the text file into
a database (Access) and then link to that database via queries or with a
pivot table. Your performance will infinitly better and everything will be
much easier to work with. Just my two cents...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"david" wrote:

Excel doewn't have enough rows to import a text file with 700,000 records.
Is there a way to detect this with say a macro, open the file with the open
wizard (to parse the .txt into cells), put 50,000 parsed records in the first
tab. open up another tab and name it, put the next 50,000 parsed records in
the tab and name it, etc. until enough tabs are opened, named, and parsed to
hold 700,000 records? Or am I asking for the sky?
thanks,
david

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I wanted to know if it could be done in Excel since I am not Access savvy.
It opens up fine in notepad, but I cannot perform the things I want to do in
notepad that I can do in excel.
thanks,
david

"david" wrote:

Excel doewn't have enough rows to import a text file with 700,000 records.
Is there a way to detect this with say a macro, open the file with the open
wizard (to parse the .txt into cells), put 50,000 parsed records in the first
tab. open up another tab and name it, put the next 50,000 parsed records in
the tab and name it, etc. until enough tabs are opened, named, and parsed to
hold 700,000 records? Or am I asking for the sky?
thanks,
david

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

are done directly through Excel. If you want help with that I am only too
happy to oblige. Doing the VB and making a spreadsheet that works is much
more difficult than the Access route.

Open Access
It will as you if you wna to open an existing database or creat a new
databse. Select Create New
Save the database to wherever you want
Click on File
Click Get External Data
Find your Text File
Follow the Wizard
Name the table
Congratulations you now have all of the records in a useable format.

In Excel Select Data - Pivot table
change the default to Get External Data
Find your database
Select your table...
You can now manipulate all 700,000 records in the pivot table...

If you want to query the records then in Excel select
Data - External Data - New Database Query
Add the fields and the criteria you want an you are started...

--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson