Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Jim Thomlinson[_4_] Jim Thomlinson[_4_] is offline

Default Excel doesn't have enough rows

What you are asking for is do-able but possilby not worth doing. At 700,000
records you are going to have disturbingly poor performance with anything you
try to do. Depending what version of Excel you are using you may also run out
of usable memorey and crash Excel. Is it possible to load the text file into
a database (Access) and then link to that database via queries or with a
pivot table. Your performance will infinitly better and everything will be
much easier to work with. Just my two cents...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"david" wrote:

Excel doewn't have enough rows to import a text file with 700,000 records.
Is there a way to detect this with say a macro, open the file with the open
wizard (to parse the .txt into cells), put 50,000 parsed records in the first
tab. open up another tab and name it, put the next 50,000 parsed records in
the tab and name it, etc. until enough tabs are opened, named, and parsed to
hold 700,000 records? Or am I asking for the sky?
thanks,
david