Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Add-in crashes Excel

Hi everyone.

I have inherited an add-in that has to be always-on , on my users' machines.
It also need to do some stuff in its Auto_Open sub.

Trouble is, if I don't include:

Application.Workbooks.Add

in the Auto-Open code I get an Excel crash (Excel 2003, Windows XP). And
some of my users want to open Excel (and the add-in) but without a blank
workbook appearing.

Any ideas? Is it imperitive for Excel to have a blank workbook when it first
opens? Is this an Excel setting somewhere?

TIA,
big t

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You should write the add in such that it does not require a
workbook to be open.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"big t" wrote in message
Hi everyone.

I have inherited an add-in that has to be always-on , on my
users' machines.
It also need to do some stuff in its Auto_Open sub.

Trouble is, if I don't include:

Application.Workbooks.Add

in the Auto-Open code I get an Excel crash (Excel 2003, Windows
XP). And
some of my users want to open Excel (and the add-in) but
without a blank
workbook appearing.

Any ideas? Is it imperitive for Excel to have a blank workbook
when it first
opens? Is this an Excel setting somewhere?

TIA,
big t

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

It sounds like you are executing commands in your addin open event that
require that a workbook be open. You would have to eliminate these
commands. Perhaps perform them when a workbook is open.

Tom Ogilvy