Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Default Excel crashes

Have I exceeded the size limits for Excel? Filesize 15M and appl.
hangs/crashes.
Any hint how to handle big files?
--
bigfile
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Excel can crash from many different reasons.

Size is only one of those.

15MB would not be considered inordinately large depending upon resources
available to you.

See Charles Williams site for calculation problems.

http://www.decisionmodels.com/

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 14:44:02 -0700, bigfile
wrote:

Have I exceeded the size limits for Excel? Filesize 15M and appl.
hangs/crashes.
Any hint how to handle big files?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

15Mb and beyond is fairly normal size wise.
Well written spreadsheets can still work well at 2-300Mb in size on a
standard corporate workstation.

The big advice would be to work locally on your C: drive if possible and
copy to the network as a separate activity. Opening big files over the
network can be painful in Excel.

Your crashes are more likely caused by add-ins or file corruption than
pure size/complexity.

Cheers
Simon
Excel development website: www.codematic.net