Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel Crashes on me

I'm trying to copy and paste a chart in an excel file and when I do this and
try and edit the chart with new source data a window pops up telling that I
cannot add new fonts to excel and then excel crashes on me.

Has anyone ever had a problem like this or knows how to fix a problem like
this?

please respond or e-mail me at
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try disabling automatic font scaling in existing charts as
described in http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=215573 "You
receive an error message when you add a chart to a workbook in
Excel".

Andrew wrote:

I'm trying to copy and paste a chart in an excel file and when I do this and
try and edit the chart with new source data a window pops up telling that I
cannot add new fonts to excel and then excel crashes on me.

Has anyone ever had a problem like this or knows how to fix a problem like
this?

please respond or e-mail me at

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I was wondering if you knew if there could be a problem if i created charts
without the automatic font scaling box checked. I am wondering if there is a
maximum amount of graphs that excel can handle in a spreadsheet.

Andrew wrote:

I'm trying to copy and paste a chart in an excel file and when I do this and
try and edit the chart with new source data a window pops up telling that I
cannot add new fonts to excel and then excel crashes on me.

Has anyone ever had a problem like this or knows how to fix a problem like
this?

please respond or e-mail me at

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Could be a problem if you need to resize the chart after you
create it. By default, fonts in a chart scale proportionally
when you resize an embedded chart or the chart area of a chart
sheet. Disabling font scaling causes the font sizes in a chart
to remain constant.

I'm not aware of an absolute maximum number of charts, but I'd
say the number probably depends on available memory and system
resources.

Andrew wrote:

I was wondering if you knew if there could be a problem if i created charts
without the automatic font scaling box checked. I am wondering if there is a
maximum amount of graphs that excel can handle in a spreadsheet.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I had this problem today. After going through KB 215573 from Microsoft,
I changed the registry and I ran the VBA routine in the KB. No luck.

When running the VBA routine I noticed that the number of charts in my
xls file was 215, while I had only 45 or so visible charts.

Somehow, when I had copied charts in the sheet, I copied them ON TOP of
existing charts. Hence I had charts that look to one chart only, but
had several more charts stacked underneath. The result was that Excel
was getting dangerously close to its charting limit, whatever that is.

In this case, I use charts not as charts per se, but as relatively
complex icons to represent trends on sales. The result is that the
chart is relatively small and the stacking does not result so obvious.

My recommendation:

(1) try the VBA routine in KB 215573
(2) check the number of charts that will show in the VBA message box.
If the number in the message box is the same as the visible charts, I
have no further help and you will need to keep trying. If the number is
different, look for stacked up charts.

Ignacio