Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.misc
Tom Tom is offline

Default Excel 97 crashes ?!?

Hi

I'm working with Windows XP and Excel 97. When I enter the menu command
"tools - options" Excel crashes immediately. I tried to solve this problem
with the following run-commands, but it fails:

....\EXCEL.EXE" /unregserver
....\EXCEL.EXE" /regserver

Any ideas how to get this work?

Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.misc

It's possible that a settings entry in your registry has somehow gotten
corrupted and it causes Excel a problem when it tries to read it.

You can make Excel re-establish its default settings with this procedu

-Make sure Excel is closed.
-From Start-Run enter "Regedit" (no quotes) and press Enter.
-Navigate to this key for Excel 97:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\8.0\Ex cel\Microsoft Excel

-Rename this key by pressing F2 and changing the last part to, say,
"Microsoft Excelx"
-Close Regedit.

Start Excel and hopefully the problem will be gone.

--
Jim Rech
Excel MVP