Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Distributing an Excel file

I should state that I am a novice at this but have made Excel file with some
VBA attached. To be more specfic, the excel file contains a pop up calendar.
The coding is contained in a Personal,xls file within the excel file. I
want to be able to distriute this excel file. Have tried saving it as an
..xla file but can't seem to get it to work. Can anyone shed some light on
this for me or point me towards a tutorial that may help.

Thanks in Advance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

First, it's not a good idea to share your macros in a workbook named
personal.xl*. Many people are already using that name for their personal
macros.

So the first thing, I'd do is either rename that file (outside of excel) or copy
all the macros/functions that I wanted to share to a new workbook. (Then you
can distribute that workbook without a problem.)

Then you can save your workbook as an addin via the File|SaveAs dialog. Make
sure you change to "microsoft office excel add-in (*.xla)" in that "Save as
type:" box.

But if it's an addin, you won't be able to see the sub's via the
Tools|macro|macros... dialog.

You'll have to give the user some way of accessing your subroutines.

If you want to add an option to the worksheet menubar, you can look at John
Walkenbach's MenuMaker routine at:

If you want to add a toolbar of your own, here's how I do it:
http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?th...5B41%40msn.com

After you're finished testing, you can distribute your workbook and tell the
user to save the file (in their addins folder or anywhere they want).

Then they can use Tools|Addins to load it. If they didn't save the addin in the
addins folder, they can use Browse and search for it.

In fact, if you're on a network, you don't have to distribute the file itself.
Just share the location and tell the users to browse to that location to load
your addin.

By the way, Ron de Bruin has some info about working with calendar controls at:
http://www.rondebruin.nl/calendar.htm

In fact, at the bottom of that page is a link to a free calendar control.

--

Dave Peterson