Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Where is documentation for the C# Office XP/2003 Primary Interop Assemblies???

Has anyone EVER seen documentation for the C# Office XP/2003 Primary Interop
Assemblies?? All I've found is a bunch of other people looking for the same
thing.

Thanks,

Stefani

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Stefani,

Stefani wrote:
Has anyone EVER seen documentation for the C# Office XP/2003 Primary
Interop Assemblies?? All I've found is a bunch of other people
looking for the same thing.

Have you seen these articles? Do they help?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...embliesFAQ.asp

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de.../odc_offcs.asp

Jake Marx
MS MVP - Excel
www.longhead.com

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Jake,

I've seen those. I'm simply looking for API documentation. As a former
java developer, I'm expecting something similar to the Java API
documentation (http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/docs/api/) - where all packages,
classes, variable and methods are documented.

Thanks,

Stefani

"Jake Marx" wrote in message
Hi Stefani,

Stefani wrote:
Has anyone EVER seen documentation for the C# Office XP/2003 Primary
Interop Assemblies?? All I've found is a bunch of other people
looking for the same thing.

Have you seen these articles? Do they help?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...embliesFAQ.asp

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de.../odc_offcs.asp

Jake Marx
MS MVP - Excel
www.longhead.com

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Jake,

I see from your website I hit the jackpot! You are an EXCEL expert.
Actually the only one at your company. Talk about job security. :-)

Here's what I'm trying to do:

1) First I'd like a way to programmatically create a workbook then stuff an
XML string into it then open the workbook in XML. What I've found is only a
way to create a workbook then cell by cell populate it then open it. The
other option to save the XML string in a .xml file first then open that
saved file in Excel is not really a great option for me. So if you can
point me to some documentation that might show me how do this it would be
great.

2) Now if there is no way to do #1 and I have to save the XML in a file
first then open in Excel, I have another question. When you open an .xml
with Excel, you are prompted with: "Open XML - as XML list, as workbook, use
the XML Source task pane?" What I'd like to do is programmatically tell
Excel to open the file "as XML list". Excel should open XML source creating
a default schema since one wasn't specified.

The method I'm using to open the .xml file is

excelApp.Workbooks.OpenXML(fileName, Type.Missing);

The second parameter is a Stylesheet. Since the XML is data based on a SQL
query, I don't know enough in advance to provide a matching Stylesheet. I
was hoping that when Excel opens the User would be provided the same prompt
as if she opened the file directly with Excel.

I was also hoping that .OpenXML would have overload where how the file is
open could be provided.

If you could point me to any documentation you'd be a lifesaver.

Thanks,

Stefani

"Jake Marx" wrote in message
Hi Stefani,

Stefani wrote:
Has anyone EVER seen documentation for the C# Office XP/2003 Primary
Interop Assemblies?? All I've found is a bunch of other people
looking for the same thing.

Have you seen these articles? Do they help?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...embliesFAQ.asp

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de.../odc_offcs.asp

Jake Marx
MS MVP - Excel
www.longhead.com

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi

The PIA is just a .NET wrap for office Object Modal.
For the detailed information about office object modal, I think you may try
to take a look at the VBA help file.
<Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\1033\VBAXL10.CHM

Also for xml transfer issue, I have replied to you in the thread below.
Open XML string in Excel using C#
microsoft.public.excel.programming

You may have a look, if you have any concern ,please post in that thread
and I will follow up.
Thanks!

Best regards,

Peter Huang
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Stefani,

Stefani wrote:
I see from your website I hit the jackpot! You are an EXCEL expert.
Actually the only one at your company. Talk about job security. :-)

Well, my company is so small, being the only Excel expert is no big
accomplishment. <g

Here's what I'm trying to do:

Hopefully, Peter from MS has answered your question in the other thread.
Good luck!

Jake Marx
MS MVP - Excel
www.longhead.com

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi,

No luck on finding this help file. Most likely because we are not a VB shop
so those help files were not installed.

Are my expectations to high? All that I'm looking for is complete
documentation on the API similiar to the Java API doc
(http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/). Documentation of the packages,
classes and methods.

Is that too much to ask for a commercial product?

Thanks,

Stefani
""Peter Huang" [MSFT]" wrote in message
Hi

The PIA is just a .NET wrap for office Object Modal.
For the detailed information about office object modal, I think you may
try
to take a look at the VBA help file.
<Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\1033\VBAXL10.CHM

Also for xml transfer issue, I have replied to you in the thread below.
Open XML string in Excel using C#
microsoft.public.excel.programming

You may have a look, if you have any concern ,please post in that thread
and I will follow up.
Thanks!

Best regards,

Peter Huang
Microsoft Online Partner Support

rights.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Stefani,

As I said the PIA(Primary Interop Assembly) is just an wrap for the Office
COM Object Modal. Before Office XP, we did not provide PIA officially. When
we wants to access to office(e.g. Office 2000), we just need to add a
reference to Office 2000 COM Object and then the IDE will generate an
Interop Assembly as a .NET wrap for the Office 2000 COM Object. All its
object modal is based on the Office COM object modal which is detailed in
the VBA Helper file.

Usually the idea about how to access to the Office COM Object is same, but
may differ due to different language syntax. So we did not have documents
special for C#,VB,NET, VB and etc.
The help file below is shipped with Office product, I think you may need to
fullly install the Office product and try to find it in the according
directory.
<Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\1033\VBAXL10.CHM

NOTE: Office11 means office 2003,
1033 means I install english version office.
So you may need to change according to your detailed scenario to find the
file.

If you still have any concern, please feel free to post here.