Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Read/Write VBA Form to .dbf

Could someone please point me in the right direction or give a few examples
of reading and writing data from a vba user form to a .dbf file.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Is the dbf file open in Excel?

Tom Ogilvy

"James W." wrote in message
Could someone please point me in the right direction or give a few

examples
of reading and writing data from a vba user form to a .dbf file.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If the dbf file is open in excel I am assuming that it would be the same as
reading and writing data to a worksheet, correct me if I am wrong. Is it
possible to write the data to a dbf file that isnt open in excel? If so
please point me in the right direction.

Reasoning behind this:
Project Shop Floor Control
I have created multiple forms that are used on our production floor, using
Excel as the host application. I would like to store this data in a more
secure location so that data cannot be manipulated in any way except through
the forms I have created. I felt that access would be perfect for this but I
doubt I could get them to buy 15 seats of access.
I am mearly looking at alternative means to store this data rather than
just in a worksheet. Your insight is greatly appreciated.

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote:

Is the dbf file open in Excel?

Tom Ogilvy

"James W." wrote in message
Could someone please point me in the right direction or give a few

examples
of reading and writing data from a vba user form to a .dbf file.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Try searching the knowledge base and you might turn something up or perhaps
someone will jump in with an answer.

http://support.microsoft.com

Here is a start:
HOW TO: Use Jet OLE DB Provider 4.0 to Connect to ISAM Databases

Tom Ogilvy

"James W." wrote in message
[...]

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote:

Is the dbf file open in Excel?

Tom Ogilvy

"James W." wrote in message
Could someone please point me in the right direction or give a few

examples
of reading and writing data from a vba user form to a .dbf file.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

James W. wrote:
If the dbf file is open in excel I am assuming that it would be the
same as reading and writing data to a worksheet, correct me if I am
wrong. Is it possible to write the data to a dbf file that isnt open
in excel? If so please point me in the right direction.

Reasoning behind this:
Project Shop Floor Control
I have created multiple forms that are used on our production
floor, using Excel as the host application. I would like to store
this data in a more secure location so that data cannot be
manipulated in any way except through the forms I have created. I
felt that access would be perfect for this but I doubt I could get
them to buy 15 seats of access. I am mearly looking at alternative
means to store this data rather than
just in a worksheet. Your insight is greatly appreciated.

Use Access. You only need a single licence for the person who will create
and administer the database. All of the other seats can connect into the
Access db via Excel, ADO and VBA. ADO (via the MIcrosoft Data Access
Components - MDAC) can be installed freely on all the other machines in the
group (in fact it's probably already there).

--
Rob

http://www.asta51.dsl.pipex.com/webcam/

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Rob Bruce wrote:
Use Access. You only need a single licence for the person who will

create
and administer the database. All of the other seats can connect into

the
Access db via Excel, ADO and VBA.

Get the admin guy to create and administer the database using ADO. That
way you don't need a single MS Access licence!

Jamie.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Jamie Collins wrote:
Rob Bruce wrote:
Use Access. You only need a single licence for the person who will
create and administer the database. All of the other seats can
connect into the Access db via Excel, ADO and VBA.

Get the admin guy to create and administer the database using ADO.
That way you don't need a single MS Access licence!

<pedant intensity="Extreme"You can't create Access databases with ADO. You
have to use ADOX</pedant

Seriously, administering a database is a lot easier with a dedicated
database administation tool. Sure, you could probably build one in
Excel/VBA, but I'm damn sure it would cost a lot more than buying a single
Access seat.

Rob

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Rob Bruce wrote:
Jamie Collins wrote:
<pedant intensity="Extreme"You can't create Access databases with

ADO. You
have to use ADOX</pedant

Sorry, I should have warned you: I'm a dedicated pedant myself.

ADOX is one of the 'ADO component libraries', the phrase being
Microsoft's rather than mine. See:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...tlibraries.asp

I think you may have confused my use of 'ADO' with Microsoft ActiveX
Data Objects, however its moniker equivalent to ADOX would be ADODB.

Better luck next time <g.

Jamie.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Jamie Collins wrote:
Rob Bruce wrote:
Jamie Collins wrote:
<pedant intensity="Extreme"You can't create Access databases with
ADO. You have to use ADOX</pedant

Sorry, I should have warned you: I'm a dedicated pedant myself.

ADOX is one of the 'ADO component libraries', the phrase being
Microsoft's rather than mine. See:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...tlibraries.asp

I think you may have confused my use of 'ADO' with Microsoft ActiveX
Data Objects, however its moniker equivalent to ADOX would be ADODB.

Better luck next time <g.

Jamie.

I fully realise that usenettiquette dictates that we should now descend into
a flame war culminating in both of us proclaiming that the other doesn't
know the first thing about data access using MS technology because of a
missed apostrophy or some such other typo several posts back, but I really
can't be bothered. I'm sure I've got better things to do. ;-)

Rob