Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default easy to crack vba password

HEllo,
I'm very disapointed about the security of the vba passwords !
To check how secure are my vba devlp, I have purchase a tools for 45$. And
after a few seconds the password was cracked !. (lenght 10 char with letters
and digits)
Is there a way to secure more ?
Could we transform a VBA into an XLA and how ?

Many thanks

François.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The only way would be to convert the code to a COM add-in or DLL. A standard
XLA is no more secure than an XLS file.

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 00:41:03 -0800, François
wrote:

HEllo,
I'm very disapointed about the security of the vba passwords !
To check how secure are my vba devlp, I have purchase a tools for 45$. And
after a few seconds the password was cracked !. (lenght 10 char with letters
and digits)
Is there a way to secure more ?
Could we transform a VBA into an XLA and how ?

Many thanks

François.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for this answer.
To create a com add-in from a vba module, I guess,a lot of changes in the
code no ?
I have Visual .Net. and I'm redy to to it in vb .net
What is your sugestion ?

Thanks.

wrote:

HEllo,
I'm very disapointed about the security of the vba passwords !
To check how secure are my vba devlp, I have purchase a tools for 45$. And
after a few seconds the password was cracked !. (lenght 10 char with letters
and digits)
Is there a way to secure more ?
Could we transform a VBA into an XLA and how ?

Many thanks

François.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"François" wrote in message
Thanks for this answer.
To create a com add-in from a vba module, I guess,a lot of changes in the
code no ?
I have Visual .Net. and I'm redy to to it in vb .net
What is your sugestion ?

Thanks.

No, lots of changes won't be necssary. The syntax, at least in vb6, is quite
similar. If you use a COM add-in, you will get a pointer to
excel.application. ACOM add-in can also be an automation add-in which means
you can make your own functions. Here's a sample built with C#
http://www.codeproject.com/dotnet/excelnetauto.asp

However, it's not difficult to decompile #NET languages. So, if you really
want to protect your code, yu need VB6 or C++. The latter is *much* more
difficult to use than VB6.

/Fredrik

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Francois,

To create a com add-in from a vba module, I guess,a lot of changes in the
code no ?
I have Visual .Net. and I'm redy to to it in vb .net
What is your sugestion ?

The easiest transition is to move most of your code from VBA to a VB6 DLL,
which is then called from remaining 'stub' routines left in VBA.
Unfortunately, using VB.NET to control Excel still has some fundamental
flaws, so I'm not (yet) in a position to recommend it.

Our new book, Professional Excel Development, includes chapters on
integrating VB6 DLLs with VBA, writing COM Addins using VB6 and using
VB.NET. More information is available from my web site,
www.oaltd.co.uk/ProExcelDev.

Regards

Stephen Bullen
Microsoft MVP - Excel