Jennifer

Default How hard is it to crack a password that's been set for a Word or .

We're considering using the password protection built in the Office when
emailing Word and Excel, but I'm wondering how secure this method really is.
I see alot of companies on the internet who offer to crack a password code
for a fee.

Jason Morin

With regard to Excel, your information is never completely safe. As you've
seen, there's plenty of free and commercial password crackers out there that
can bypass worksheet protection, workbook protection, file protection, and
VBA project protection. Bottom line: remove confidential data from workbooks
before sharing them.

HTH
Jason
Atlanta, GA

"Jennifer" wrote:

We're considering using the password protection built in the Office when
emailing Word and Excel, but I'm wondering how secure this method really is.
I see alot of companies on the internet who offer to crack a password code
for a fee.

Bill Martin -- (Remove NOSPAM from address)

Jennifer wrote:
We're considering using the password protection built in the Office when
emailing Word and Excel, but I'm wondering how secure this method really is.
I see alot of companies on the internet who offer to crack a password code
for a fee.

It will be secure from someone casually snooping through it. Anyone
seriously interested in the file will probably be able to get into it
though.

If you need it to actually be secure, then you need to get a real
encryption program -- PGP for example with public key encryption. The
NSC could probably still crack the file with enough effort, but I doubt
any local hacker could.

Bill