Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Opening a different application from Excel

Is it possible to open a differnt application form Excel?

I have a spreadsheet that imports data from an Access database. This
database needs to be refreshed before importing daqta so the spreadsheet is
current.

I'd like to be able to do this with one button click which opens the
database, runs the auto_exec macro, and closes the database.

Just to make it interesting, but database is in a different drive & directory.

Is this possible? How so?

Thanks in advance.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You can use "shell" to open a different application, but because you are
wanting to open an Access database there are a couple of questions. (I don't
recomend shell for what you are trying to do. How many people will have
access to this button. You don't really want multiple people openeing the
database at the same time. What does your Auto_exec macro in Access Do. Is it
possible to have Excel Update the Databse without explicitly opening it up.
You can control an Access Database from Excel. How long does it take to
update the Access Database. You don't really want to keep updating the
Database if it was just updated by someone else just a moment ago.