Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Slow-Opening Excel Application

Pertaining to an Excel 2000 VBA application: Sometimes the
performance slows and the application opens very slowly or
won't open at all. I learned that, in Windows 98, I could
delete all .tmp and .emf files from the Windows Temp
directory (there would sometimes be over 1,000 in this
folder) and performance would be restored.

Now, I'm having the same performance-slowing in Windows XP
Professional. Thinking I would be able to use the same fix
(clearing the Windows Temp folder), I was surprised to
find no .tmp or .emf files in there. I did a search for
these suspected culprits, but there don't seem to be
significant numbers of them anywhere on the machine.

What could be going on here? What are the possible causes
and fixes for this degraded performance. The application
file takes about five minutes to open under XP
Professional. I'm afraid to close it for fear it won't
open again. Help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

In Windows XP the TEMP files are stored in the users profile.

Depending on certain settings in explorer you cannot find these files
as they will be hidden.

The Directory name will be similar to:
NOTE you've gotta change it to YOUR username.

"C:\Documents and Settings\JoeTheMan\Local Settings\Temp"

If you cant browse to it..

IN Explorer:
Tools/Folder Options
View Tab
SELECT Show hidden Files and Folders
DESELECT Hide Protected Operating System Files
Not sure that this one is needed. :)

Then browse to above folder
and ADD it to your favourites.

keepITcool

"Joe Conti" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Also... check the size of your excel.xlb file. On my Win98SE system this is
at C:\WIN98\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel, but on XP it might be
somewhere else. This file holds menu bar & toolbar customisations. If it's
huge (mine's 9kb, which is about normal size) then just delete it (after
you've closed xl) and restart xl, whereupon it will be recreated by default.
Unfortunately, doing this will lose any menu/toolbar customisations that you
may have carried out and re-instate the defaults.