Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Joe Conti Joe Conti is offline

Default Slow-Opening Excel Application

Pertaining to an Excel 2000 VBA application: Sometimes the
performance slows and the application opens very slowly or
won't open at all. I learned that, in Windows 98, I could
delete all .tmp and .emf files from the Windows Temp
directory (there would sometimes be over 1,000 in this
folder) and performance would be restored.

Now, I'm having the same performance-slowing in Windows XP
Professional. Thinking I would be able to use the same fix
(clearing the Windows Temp folder), I was surprised to
find no .tmp or .emf files in there. I did a search for
these suspected culprits, but there don't seem to be
significant numbers of them anywhere on the machine.

What could be going on here? What are the possible causes
and fixes for this degraded performance. The application
file takes about five minutes to open under XP
Professional. I'm afraid to close it for fear it won't
open again. Help!