Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Making Cells mandatory

I am looking for some help with making some cells mandatory. I have created
a small expense report with approx. 20 lines. On each line, if a user enters
a expense date, I want to make the €śAttendee€ť field mandatory.
I originally thought I could trigger this when printing the form; however,
it is possible the user may just e-mail it.
Besides activating this validation, I am also having problem with the
validation itself.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Have you considered using a Form for the input of the data items (rather than
directly into the spreadsheet)? If you used a form,
1. you can validate each item on exit and all items when the user select
say the 'Post Record' button (this will write the data to the worksheet)
2. AND you could hide the Excel object while the form was active thereby
dissallowing the emailing.

"Kathy - Lovullo" wrote:

I am looking for some help with making some cells mandatory. I have created
a small expense report with approx. 20 lines. On each line, if a user enters
a expense date, I want to make the €śAttendee€ť field mandatory.
I originally thought I could trigger this when printing the form; however,
it is possible the user may just e-mail it.
Besides activating this validation, I am also having problem with the
validation itself.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Yes. However, I am working with an existing form that the users are
accustomed to and would prefer to use. That is why I am trying to do this in
the spreadsheet itself.

Any ideas?

"Kathy - Lovullo" wrote:

I am looking for some help with making some cells mandatory. I have created
a small expense report with approx. 20 lines. On each line, if a user enters
a expense date, I want to make the €śAttendee€ť field mandatory.
I originally thought I could trigger this when printing the form; however,
it is possible the user may just e-mail it.
Besides activating this validation, I am also having problem with the
validation itself.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You could write a sub in the code behind the sheet using _change or _calculate.

A simple set of IFs could bring up a warning message and highlight the
offended empty cell.

"Kathy - Lovullo" wrote:

I am looking for some help with making some cells mandatory. I have created
a small expense report with approx. 20 lines. On each line, if a user enters
a expense date, I want to make the €śAttendee€ť field mandatory.
I originally thought I could trigger this when printing the form; however,
it is possible the user may just e-mail it.
Besides activating this validation, I am also having problem with the
validation itself.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Kathy
You could use a Workbook_BeforeSave event macro to check for the entries
you want. That way, the user would be unable to save the file if your
criteria is not met. You would include one or more message boxes explaining
to the user what the problem is. HTH Otto

HTH Otto
"Kathy - Lovullo" wrote in message
I am looking for some help with making some cells mandatory. I have
created
a small expense report with approx. 20 lines. On each line, if a user
enters
a expense date, I want to make the "Attendee" field mandatory.