abfabrob

Default Making cells mandatory to fill in

I am creating an application form where I want users to fill certain cells in
before closing the document.

Does anyone have an idiots guide to doing this, cos I'm not great with excell.

ANY help welcome!!!
JulieD

Hi

following on from your discussion with Jason Morin (please stay in the
original thread) - what is the code you're getting the errors on, what is
the sheet name and cells that you want to make mandatory?

Cheers
JulieD

"abfabrob" wrote in message
I am creating an application form where I want users to fill certain cells
in
before closing the document.

Does anyone have an idiots guide to doing this, cos I'm not great with
excell.

ANY help welcome!!!

abfabrob

I was given this code:

Private Sub Workbook_BeforeSave(ByVal SaveAsUI As Booleaツ*n, _

Cancel As Boolean)

Dim cell As Range

For Each cell In Range("Required_Cells")

If IsEmpty(cell.Value) Then

MsgBox "You must fill in cell " & cell.Addreツ*ss

Application.Goto cell

Cancel = True

Exit For

End If

Next cell

End Sub

But I have no idea what it means. I put it in the right place (I think) and
I input the cells I want the users to fill in, butI keep getting this
message: "Compile error: user-defined type not defined".

I so have no knowledge of anything, quite clearly. I need it explained step
by step.

Cheers,

Rob

"abfabrob" wrote in message
I am creating an application form where I want users to fill certain cells
in
before closing the document.

Does anyone have an idiots guide to doing this, cos I'm not great with
excell.

ANY help welcome!!!

JulieD

Hi Rob

to use the code, right mouse click on a sheet tab and choose view / code -
in the VBE window you'll see down the left hand side your workbook's name in
bold & brackets ... under that will be things like sheet1,sheet2,
ThisWorkbook - the code needs to go into the "ThisWorkbook" section
- so double click on ThisWorkbook

then
on the top right side of the screen you have two drop down arrows - on the
one of the left choose Workbook
on the one on the right choose Before Save
then
Boolean)

End Sub

will appear on your screen - the first line (starting with Private & ending
with Cancel As Boolean is all one line like in your screen)
now between these two lines you need to copy & paste the code

Dim cell As Range
For Each cell In Sheets("Sheet2").Range("A1,A2,A3,A4")
If IsEmpty(cell.Value) Then
MsgBox "You must fill in cell " & cell.Address
Application.Goto cell
Cancel = True
Exit For
End If
Next cell

---
now where it says "Sheet2" above change that to the sheet name you want to
check for entry on (leave the "") and where it says A1, A2, A3, A4 change
these to the actual cells you want to ensure have data in them.

once you've done that use ALT & F11 to switch back to your workbook and test
it.

Let us know how you go.

Cheers
JulieD

"abfabrob" wrote in message
I was given this code:

Private Sub Workbook_BeforeSave(ByVal SaveAsUI As Boolea*n, _

"abfabrob" wrote in message
I am creating an application form where I want users to fill certain
cells
in
before closing the document.

Does anyone have an idiots guide to doing this, cos I'm not great with
excell.

ANY help welcome!!!

JulieD

you're welcome ... now make sure you've set security to medium (and choose
enable macros when you open the workbook) or it won't work if you close the
book (tools / macro / security tab)

Cheers
JulieD

"abfabrob" wrote in message
It totally worked, thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"abfabrob" wrote in message
I am creating an application form where I want users to fill
certain
cells
in
before closing the document.

Does anyone have an idiots guide to doing this, cos I'm not great
with
excell.

ANY help welcome!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

if i want when A1 is entered, B1 must be entered also.
then when A2 has to be entered, B2 has to be entered too.
then...
if the forumla is apply to B3,B4&b5
but i only need uers to fill in A3 first, A4&A5 will be filled next time.
then it will keep promp users to enter B4&B5 which I dont want.
any helps?
thanks!

"JulieD" wrote:

you're welcome ... now make sure you've set security to medium (and choose
enable macros when you open the workbook) or it won't work if you close the
book (tools / macro / security tab)

Cheers
JulieD

"abfabrob" wrote in message
It totally worked, thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"abfabrob" wrote in message
I am creating an application form where I want users to fill
certain
cells
in
before closing the document.

Does anyone have an idiots guide to doing this, cos I'm not great
with
excell.

ANY help welcome!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

any tips?

"JulieD" wrote:

you're welcome ... now make sure you've set security to medium (and choose
enable macros when you open the workbook) or it won't work if you close the
book (tools / macro / security tab)

Cheers
JulieD

"abfabrob" wrote in message
It totally worked, thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"abfabrob" wrote in message
I am creating an application form where I want users to fill
certain
cells
in
before closing the document.

Does anyone have an idiots guide to doing this, cos I'm not great
with
excell.

ANY help welcome!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Julie,

I have added your code to my spreadsheet and it does force the user to
populate the required cells. However, I need the cells to be blank when other
users open the spreadsheet and for them to be forced to populate the cells
before they save a copy. Do you know how I can save the spreadsheet having
added the code, without populating the fields myself?

Thanks

"abfabrob" wrote in message
I am creating an application form where I want users to fill certain
cells
in
before closing the document.

Does anyone have an idiots guide to doing this, cos I'm not great
with
excell.

ANY help welcome!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Click on the Design Mode button so all code is disabled long enough for
you to save the sheet. That drove me nuts for weeks once...

--
JBeaucaire
JBeaucaire's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=73

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You will have to save the workbook as a Template with the beforesave code
and the required cells empty.

To do this, add the code to Thisworkbook.........I think you already did
that.

Leave the required cells empty then save the workbook with events disabled.

Application.EnableEvents = False entered into the Immediate Window will do
that for you.

Save the workbook as a FileType of Template(*.xlt)

Now close the workbook. You will not be asked to fill in the cells

From now on when users open a new workbook based upon the Template, they
will have to fill in the cells before saving.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"abfabrob" wrote in message
I am creating an application form where I want users to fill certain
cells
in
before closing the document.

Does anyone have an idiots guide to doing this, cos I'm not great
with
excell.

ANY help welcome!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bj bj is offline

Julie, I tried the code you provided and it worked perfectly. However my
problem is slightly different. I would like users to enter an X in one of
cells E6, E7, E8, E9 or E10. Any one only. How can I change the code below to
accept an X in one cell only?

Thanks.
Ben Joseph

"abfabrob" wrote in message
I am creating an application form where I want users to fill certain
cells
in
before closing the document.

Does anyone have an idiots guide to doing this, cos I'm not great with
excell.

ANY help welcome!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I need help, I am working on an excel expense report templete and want them
to fill in certain cells before they exit. When I copied the thread from
below I keep getting error messages. I dont know if I am putting valoues of
the cells i want filled out in the wrong place or not. This is what it looks
like: it says for each cell in range line is not right...

Dim cell As Range

For Each cell In Range(d5, g5, j5, e7, m7, g10)

If IsEmpty(cell.Value) Then

MsgBox "You must fill in cell " & cell.Address

Application.Goto cell

Cancel = True

Exit For

End If

Next cell

wkmooreh

"abfabrob" wrote:

I am creating an application form where I want users to fill certain cells in
before closing the document.

Does anyone have an idiots guide to doing this, cos I'm not great with excell.

ANY help welcome!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You'll want to provide the worksheet name to check, too.

Option Explicit
Dim cell As Range

For Each cell In Me.Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("d5,g5,j5,e7,m7,g10" )

"abfabrob" wrote:

I am creating an application form where I want users to fill certain cells in
before closing the document.

Does anyone have an idiots guide to doing this, cos I'm not great with excell.

ANY help welcome!!!

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dave Thanks.. this is what i put. i saved it and closed it out , when back in
and it isnt forcing doing anything... I am sorry for the confusion, I did
this years ago. But none of it has come back to me at all

Option Explicit
Dim cell As Range

For Each cell In
Expense_Report__BLANK.xls("MASTER").Range("d5,g5,j 5,e7,m7,g10")

"abfabrob" wrote:

I am creating an application form where I want users to fill certain cells in
before closing the document.

Does anyone have an idiots guide to doing this, cos I'm not great with excell.

ANY help welcome!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try this:

For Each cell In me.worksheets("MASTER").Range("d5,g5,j5,e7,m7,g10" )

Me refers to the object that owns the code. In this case, since the code is in
the ThisWorkbook module, the Me keyword refers to the workbook that's closing.

And in this case, it doesn't matter, but I like this syntax:

For Each cell In me.worksheets("MASTER").Range("d5,g5,j5,e7,m7,g10" ).cells

I think it makes it more self-documenting.

"abfabrob" wrote:

I am creating an application form where I want users to fill certain cells in
before closing the document.

Does anyone have an idiots guide to doing this, cos I'm not great with excell.

ANY help welcome!!!

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Ok Dave - Now it works to perfect, I cant save and close it without it
wanting me to fill in the required cells.. What can I do

Option Explicit
Dim cell As Range

"abfabrob" wrote:

I am creating an application form where I want users to fill certain cells in
before closing the document.

Does anyone have an idiots guide to doing this, cos I'm not great with excell.

ANY help welcome!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

So you want to give you (as a developer) special dispensation and allow yourself
to save and close the workbook with those cells empty.

You have a few choices.

I'd do this:
Open the VBE
Hit ctrl-g to see the immediate window
type this and hit enter:
application.enableevents = false
Then back to excel and save/close the workbook.
Then back to the immediate window in the VBE:
application.enableevents = true

The workbook_BeforeSave procedure is one of those events that excel keeps
looking for. By telling it to stop looking at all events, you can do what you
want.

Notice that this isn't difficult to do. Any one who knows a little excel can do
exactly the same thing. So your _BeforeSave event isn't really secure.

=========
If you are only using this workbook as a developer and never want to have this
code stop you from saving, you can add a couple of lines to check to see who's
using the workbook:

Option Explicit
Dim cell As Range

If Application.UserName = "Your Name Here" Then
Exit Sub
End If

For Each cell In Me.Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("d5,g5,j5,e7,m7,g10" ).Cells
If IsEmpty(cell.Value) Then
MsgBox "You must fill in cell " & cell.Address
Application.Goto cell
Cancel = True
Exit For
End If
Next cell
End Sub

To make sure you spell your username correctly, type this into the immediate
window:
?application.username

And use that name in your code.

"abfabrob" wrote:

I am creating an application form where I want users to fill certain cells in
before closing the document.

Does anyone have an idiots guide to doing this, cos I'm not great with excell.

ANY help welcome!!!

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Gord--I followed these instructions to save the workbook template but still
get the message that the cells need to be filled out. I cannot even click
Save-As--the message pops up immediately. Any thoughts?

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

You will have to save the workbook as a Template with the beforesave code
and the required cells empty.

To do this, add the code to Thisworkbook.........I think you already did
that.

Leave the required cells empty then save the workbook with events disabled.

Application.EnableEvents = False entered into the Immediate Window will do
that for you.

Save the workbook as a FileType of Template(*.xlt)

Now close the workbook. You will not be asked to fill in the cells

From now on when users open a new workbook based upon the Template, they

"abfabrob" wrote in message
I am creating an application form where I want users to fill certain
cells
in
before closing the document.

Does anyone have an idiots guide to doing this, cos I'm not great
with
excell.

ANY help welcome!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I did--still no luck. Here is what I am doing.

Clicking View - Immediate Window
Entering Application.EnableEvents = False into the immediate window
Back to Excel, clicking File-Save As, but can't because I get the pop up to
force entry into the cell.

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

You will have to save the workbook as a Template with the beforesave code
and the required cells empty.

To do this, add the code to Thisworkbook.........I think you already did
that.

Leave the required cells empty then save the workbook with events disabled.

Application.EnableEvents = False entered into the Immediate Window will do
that for you.

Save the workbook as a FileType of Template(*.xlt)

Now close the workbook. You will not be asked to fill in the cells

From now on when users open a new workbook based upon the Template, they

"JulieD" wrote:

[...]

"abfabrob" wrote in message
I was given this code:

Private Sub Workbook_BeforeSave(ByVal SaveAsUI As Booleaテつ*n, _

Cancel As Boolean)

Dim cell As Range

For Each cell In Range("Required_Cells")

If IsEmpty(cell.Value) Then

MsgBox "You must fill in cell " & cell.Addreテつ*ss

"abfabrob" wrote in message
I am creating an application form where I want users to fill certain
cells
in
before closing the document.

Does anyone have an idiots guide to doing this, cos I'm not great
with
excell.

ANY help welcome!!!

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

After you type that "application.enableevents = false" into the immediate
window, are you hitting enter?

This command tells excel to stop looking for events completely. So it should
work for you. (I've never seen it fail.)

If the next test fails, enter this command right after the first:

?application.enableevents

That should return True or False.

If you see true, then events are enabled and your SaveAs will fire that event.

If you see false (I hope!), then events are disabled and you should be able to
do the SaveAs.

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

You will have to save the workbook as a Template with the beforesave code
and the required cells empty.

To do this, add the code to Thisworkbook.........I think you already did
that.

Leave the required cells empty then save the workbook with events disabled.

Application.EnableEvents = False entered into the Immediate Window will do
that for you.

Save the workbook as a FileType of Template(*.xlt)

Now close the workbook. You will not be asked to fill in the cells

From now on when users open a new workbook based upon the Template, they

"abfabrob" wrote in message
I am creating an application form where I want users to fill certain
cells
in
before closing the document.

Does anyone have an idiots guide to doing this, cos I'm not great
with
excell.

ANY help welcome!!!

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dave; Never underestimate the power of hitting the enter key. lol--duh!
Thanks so much. : ) Pam

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

You will have to save the workbook as a Template with the beforesave code
and the required cells empty.

To do this, add the code to Thisworkbook.........I think you already did
that.

Leave the required cells empty then save the workbook with events disabled.

Application.EnableEvents = False entered into the Immediate Window will do
that for you.

Save the workbook as a FileType of Template(*.xlt)

Now close the workbook. You will not be asked to fill in the cells

From now on when users open a new workbook based upon the Template, they

"JulieD" wrote:

[...]

"abfabrob" wrote in message
I was given this code:

Private Sub Workbook_BeforeSave(ByVal SaveAsUI As Booleaテム堙つ*n, _

Cancel As Boolean)

Dim cell As Range

For Each cell In Range("Required_Cells")

If IsEmpty(cell.Value) Then

MsgBox "You must fill in cell " & cell.Addreテム堙つ*ss

"abfabrob" wrote in message
I am creating an application form where I want users to fill certain
cells
in
before closing the document.

Does anyone have an idiots guide to doing this, cos I'm not great
with
excell.

ANY help welcome!!!

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

One more quick question Dave--can I set the application.enable events = false
or true within a macro so that it disables events in order to save the
template, but then re-enables them?

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

You will have to save the workbook as a Template with the beforesave code
and the required cells empty.

To do this, add the code to Thisworkbook.........I think you already did
that.

Leave the required cells empty then save the workbook with events disabled.

Application.EnableEvents = False entered into the Immediate Window will do
that for you.

Save the workbook as a FileType of Template(*.xlt)

Now close the workbook. You will not be asked to fill in the cells

From now on when users open a new workbook based upon the Template, they

"abfabrob" wrote in message
I am creating an application form where I want users to fill certain
cells
in
before closing the document.

Does anyone have an idiots guide to doing this, cos I'm not great
with
excell.

ANY help welcome!!!

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sure.

Make a macro that only you know the name of and make it invisible to the alt-f8
dialog.

In a separate module:

Option Explicit
Option Private Module
Sub PamsSaveAs()
application.enableevents = false
thisworkbook.save 'save the current file??

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

You will have to save the workbook as a Template with the beforesave code
and the required cells empty.

To do this, add the code to Thisworkbook.........I think you already did
that.

Leave the required cells empty then save the workbook with events disabled.

Application.EnableEvents = False entered into the Immediate Window will do
that for you.

Save the workbook as a FileType of Template(*.xlt)

Now close the workbook. You will not be asked to fill in the cells

From now on when users open a new workbook based upon the Template, they

"abfabrob" wrote in message
I am creating an application form where I want users to fill certain
cells
in
before closing the document.

Does anyone have an idiots guide to doing this, cos I'm not great
with
excell.

ANY help welcome!!!

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Perfect! Thanks so much Dave--you're the best.

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

You will have to save the workbook as a Template with the beforesave code
and the required cells empty.

To do this, add the code to Thisworkbook.........I think you already did
that.

Leave the required cells empty then save the workbook with events disabled.

Application.EnableEvents = False entered into the Immediate Window will do
that for you.

Save the workbook as a FileType of Template(*.xlt)

Now close the workbook. You will not be asked to fill in the cells

From now on when users open a new workbook based upon the Template, they

"JulieD" wrote:

[...]

"abfabrob" wrote in message
I was given this code:

Private Sub Workbook_BeforeSave(ByVal SaveAsUI As Booleaテθ津「ぎナ。テム堙つ*n, _

Cancel As Boolean)

Dim cell As Range

For Each cell In Range("Required_Cells")

If IsEmpty(cell.Value) Then

MsgBox "You must fill in cell " & cell.Addreテθ津「ぎナ。テム堙つ*ss

"abfabrob" wrote in message
I am creating an application form where I want users to fill certain
cells
in
before closing the document.

Does anyone have an idiots guide to doing this, cos I'm not great
with
excell.

ANY help welcome!!!

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Junior Member

I have a question about this same thing. I need to make inside sales fill out a spread sheet. I have the code that is listed in this forum. But I need to include each cell with a different message box. How do I tie it together. example C1 Message box - must enter todays date. C2 - must enter name and so on. This is what I have so far
Dim Cell As Range
For Each Cell In Sheets("Sheet1").Range("C3")
If IsEmpty(Cell.Value) Then
MsgBox "You must enter Today's Date" & Cell.Address
Application.Goto Cell
Cancel = True
Exit For
End If
Next Cell
End Sub
I have tried to enter code for each cell seperately but cannot get it to work. I am very new to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abfabrob View Post